Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine identification  (Read 2792 times)

coronos

• View Profile
Engine identification
« on: May 18, 2021, 12:10:12 AM »
Hello All!

I'm trying to identify the exact model and build number of the Lister engine on my dad's generator. I think I have an answer, but I'd like someone with more experience to confirm my process.

There's no metal plate on it any more, but at one time this number was copied from it: 48 01168 LPW4A.

According to the operator's manual, the first two digits represent the year, with the example of 06 = 2006. The generator was purchased new in 1998, so should the first two digits actually be 98?

There was no build number copied, so given the model number of LPW4, I used the engine build chart in the parts manual (with 50-60 possibilities) to eliminate all build numbers that didn't apply to this model. The spec label showed a fixed speed of 1800 rpm, so I also eliminated all variable speed builds, and any dual or constant speed builds that weren't fixed at 1800.

At this point my list of possibilities was down to builds 18, 72, 74, 79, 174, 227, 274, 279, and 281.

In the parts manual I found a variety of speed controls which applied to various builds. Our control has three set screws, and there was only one matching control in the book. It applied to builds 27, 28, 41, 74, and 81. Crossing with my previous list gives me the only remaining possibility of build 74.

So, after all of this, is it reasonable to conclude that my model number should read 98 01168 LPW4A 74?

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Engine identification
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 05:56:10 AM »
I am not able to help you with the details but somewhere either on this site or in Google has the details for dating the Lister engines. I dont know when they crossed over the dating system but after a certain date they had to use a different system because it would be confused with the real old engines.
While waiting do a Google search for Lister engine dating you might be surprised of the outcome.
Sounds like you have done a lot of research already so well done on that.
Cheers John.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

coronos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07:09:55 AM »
You're right, there are quite a few sites with Lister dating info. Unfortunately I couldn't find any that matched with what I have. They either end in the 50's, 60's or 70's, or they have an entirely different S/N format.

I did come across one that mentioned adding 50 to the serial number year code, so maybe the 48 is correct after all.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »
That sounds familiar.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »
Please post pictures.
-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

coronos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 07:31:50 PM »
Let me know if there are specific parts you'd like a picture of.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 06:47:19 AM »
That is a lovely looking set up. The pic with LP460 wont help anything as it is only a casting number nothing to do with model at all. Any numbers that are cast or embossed onto your engine are usually not relevant. Engine number stamped into the block are the ones needed like the numbers that you have supplied but without the key to the dating it makes it hard to work out especially with no ID plate riveted onto the side of the block.

coronos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
Thanks. My dad set this system up about 10 years ago with solar, wind, and 2 generators for backup. For storage there are 2 48v battery banks in parallel. He is entirely off-grid, so if one genset goes down, he has a second to fill in. The wind generator actually blew apart in a storm after only a couple of years of use, and it wasn't worth replacing at the time, so now it's just solar plus generator.

Good to know about the casting number. I found a spot on top where it looks like the plate was just glued on(!), but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 12:46:37 PM »
Although it looks a fairly newish engine I don't think that an ID plate would have been glued on. Usually they have very small rivets holding them on,
On older engine the plate usually is rivetted onto the block near the injector pump and below the head. It sounds as if you may need to do a very close search with a good torch light and look again for the ID plate.

coronos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
That's what I thought too, but I've looked very carefully over the entire block several times, and just did another check. I can't see any place that look like it's missing a tag, other than a flat rectangular spot on top (tried to attach a picture, but it won't upload for some reason). There's black stuff on it that can be scraped off with a fingernail, and feels like old glue.

Anyway, back to the original question. I know the date (1998), so I'm not really concerned with confirming that, but I would like to confirm the build number, because that's what determines the parts I order. Was my process of elimination an accurate one?

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 07:09:38 AM »
What you need is your engine number and those numbers should be stamped into the block or sometimes I have heard on the head. If you have a thick layer of paint over the numbers then they will be hard to find so look for a machined flat section on the block or head and scrape away the paint to find the number.
Not sure if you have been in contact with a Lister parts supplier, he will be able to tell you exactly where to look.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 07:45:33 AM »
With yours being a comparatively recent engine, in Lister terms, you might be able to get the actual build no. from ListerPetter themselves, they should have records of that engine still.

You might want to hide your wallet if you ask them about spare parts prices, I've heard that they're - shall we say, on the high side of OMFG!

https://www.listerpetter.com/spare-parts/
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 12:54:00 PM »
Well done with that link AdeV.
It has a downloads section and manuals for free so coronos can have a look through them to identify his engine model.