Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR2 question. Is this a Tomey pressure gauge and where does it connect?  (Read 1379 times)

Sin Prisa

• View Profile
Hello, newcomer here. :) My names Jim, I'm based in the North West of England, I have a narrowboat called Sin Prisa. It's an unusual name and means 'No Hurry' in Spanish, I was thinking of changing the name but it's grown on me and I like its originality. I purchased the boat in 2019, it needs a lot of work doing to it and as I was new to narrowboats at the time I'm having to learn much about boats such as the DC electrics, the engine etc... Btw, my engine is a Lister SR2 with a LH150 reversing gear. Now for my first request for help, I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. Please have a look at the included photos. I'm wondering what this actually is and where it connects to, the second photo shows the disconnected pipe. Research suggests it's a pressure gauge. I'm also not sure what the tap to the right is for, it seems to release oil. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 06:09:57 PM by Sin Prisa »

cobbadog

• View Profile
G'day Jim and welcome to the Forum. Love the narrow boats and I too would keep the name, it is very appropriate to the way of life on the canals.
I am guessing that they are 2 different gauges between pic 1 & 2 as there is a flange on the back of one gauge. I cannot read clearly what the face is on the 2nd pic but I am guessing it is the same as the top pic which is an oil pressure gauge. Obviously the end on that tube in the second pic needs a fitting but they are available and if the tube is not long enough again you can buy copper tubing and buy new fitting for both ends.
Now as for where to connect it. You need to go searching with a good light but start at the oil pump or filter to see a blanking plug and that should be the connection point.
I have not seen one of those taps before and I cant see where the bottom of the tube goes to so it would only be a guess and that is not helpful.
I will try to attach some info that might be of use in the future. If it doesn't attach I have no way of compressing the files to post on a Forum so would need an email to send them to.
Keep us informed as to any progress and do a Google search for a SR2 workshop manual there are free ones out there.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

cobbadog

• View Profile
They would not attach sorry. Files are too big and I cannot compress them on this dinosaur.

Sin Prisa

• View Profile
Hi Cobbadog, thanks for reply, there is only one gauge and as someone suggested on another forum it is for oil pressure. I'm often searching around the engine with a torch while I learn about the engine. I've found where it connects to and I'll upload a photo when I take it, perhaps later today so watch this space :) Already searched for Lister SR2 manuals when I first got the boat but they don't seem to be well written or easy to understand, like old scanned documents that seemed to be originally created with a typewriter. The valve is an old Tecalemit oil drain valve apparently.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Hi Jim, I have a PDF of a A25Lister Air Cooled engine which is the SR1 engine. This has been my reference manual for my SR2. As I mentioned it is too large for me to post on the Forum but if you PM me with an email I can then forward it onto you if you like. Yes the first 2 pages are a bad scan copy of the manual but the rest is very clear. So it is yours if you want it.
Cheers cobba

Sin Prisa

• View Profile
Hello cobbadog, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'll send you a private message. Thanks so much. Btw, I've solved the problem now, I simply need a soldering nut and nipple. I got the answers on another forum, I'd share the link but I'm not sure it's good etiquette to share links to other forums with the same question where others have replied.

cobbadog

• View Profile
No problem about late replies. Main thing is that you have the answers you were chasing and that is a good thing.