Author Topic: Lister Petter LPW3A rebuild  (Read 3090 times)

praxidice

• View Profile
Lister Petter LPW3A rebuild
« on: May 14, 2021, 03:18:15 AM »
Is there anyone here with experience in dismantling / rebuilding a Lister Petter LPW3A ?

I have a few issues that are not covered in the service manual and would appreciate input from someone who has been there done that.

Presumably all LPW series engines are essentially similar (apart from the number of cylinders), indeed one service manual covers the lot.

mihit

• View Profile
Re: Lister Petter LPW3A rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:28:33 AM »
Not specifically, but I've pulled down more than a few engines.
What are ya after?

praxidice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
Present issue is removing the camshaft.

I've followed the service manual instructions to the letter but the thing simply will not come out

Asked a number of associates with relevant experience and they have no idea

Something must be stopping it coming out but what ?

The camshaft is the last bit left in the block ... no cam followers, no governor components, no crankshaft, no lift pump pushrod

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 07:01:17 AM »
Picture speaks a thousand words...
Are you trying to lift it up, or slide it out?
All bearing caps removed? Any movement at all?

praxidice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »
Picture speaks a thousand words...
Are you trying to lift it up, or slide it out?
All bearing caps removed? Any movement at all?

Tried both lifting it up and sliding it out

Can't understand relevance of bearing caps, in any case LPW engines don't have conventional main bearing caps

There is a bit of movement, maybe a centimeter, but its difficult to see whats holding the camshaft due to the only access being on the side of the block rather than the bottom

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »
I never got involved these engines in any depth, due to not been impressed with several of the cheapening up features on this engine range.

Anyway back to your problem, if these engines are anything like the earlier LP engines I have worked on. You will have noticed the main bearings are located in circular housings (cheeses). These cheeses are located in the crankcase with hollow dowel pins (which are not obvious unless you know where to look). There may also be other dowel pins which are located under bolts in other areas of the crankcase.
Proceed to remove any likely bolts that appear to have no immediate function, and  the oil pipework from the main bearing area, and if you probe down these holes [with a suitable O ring pick or similar], you have now exposed in the main bearing area of the crankcase casting, you will feel a hollow dowl pin, these are threaded so you can extract them with a suitable size of studding.

Once removed you can extract the crankshaft complete with the main bearing housings from the crankcase.

praxidice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 03:11:34 AM »
Thanks .... already dealt with the 'cheeses' and the dowel pins some time back

I've already removed the CRANKshaft .... its the CAMshaft that doesn't want to come out and I can't figure what is stopping it coming out
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:13:55 AM by praxidice »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
OK, my mistake.

I believe that engine has a plunger type oil pump, and if so have you either removed the oil pump entirely (it comes out from the bottom of the crankcase), or have you depressed the oil pump push rod, which bears on an eccentric on the camshaft. Either one of these approaches should then allow removal of the camshaft.

I also assume you have removed the individual injector pumps and respective roller followers.

praxidice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 11:00:24 PM »
I'd already removed the cam followers / injector pumps but not the oil pump which was next on the list. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the plunger, I understood that the oil pump was driven by the chain.

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 10:43:47 AM »
I'm wondering how your strip down and rebuild went

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 04:00:12 AM »
Maybe a stupid comment. But I assume you've taken both the m6 securing bolts out from behind the camshaft gear