Author Topic: Museum Lister D problems  (Read 5344 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Museum Lister D problems
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
Very good advise with the cleaning and 'polishing' of the points and to drag a piece of clean cardboard through does work well but I just spray either over them and let that evaporate. If you do this method give it a few minutes to evaporate or you will discover that it is flammable, dont ask how I know!
Yes honing the bore or even roughing it up using some wet n dry paper will help but do not rub it up and down only around in circumference of the bore but if the engine has not run for a while big chances it just needs a good run first to loosen up the rings as they can get stuck by the carbon build up and a good run under load tends to free that issue up in most cases.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »

For sure cobbadog. New honing only in a case where compression is suspect, with inconsistent ability to run.  I would think consistent compression below 90 would be a red flag if it's going to be a worker.

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 01:24:12 AM »
I have not heard of the method of spraying small mists of water into a running engine to de-glaze it but only to de-coke it as the mist of water turns to steam and that is what loosens the carbon. I can't see how that method would work on the de-glazing but I am always happy to learn.

I can't say I understand the science myself, I'll try and find the link.

As I understand it water injection a) cools the intake charge giving denser (more) air, and b) once in the chamber splits into oxygen and hydrogen to promote more complete combustion.
Maybe hotter running breaks the glaze allowing the rings to scrape it?

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 06:51:02 AM »
It will be an interesting read if you can find it. Injecting water as far as I know and understand, and this depends on how much you introduce before blowing the top off the piston, The water turns to steam and that is what loosens the carbon and it then exits through the exhaust.
I have heard of other methods used to de-glaze a bore but they are so far out of left field that it would do more damage than leaving it as is.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 07:22:59 AM »
I'm not sure there is any cracking of the water to produce/burn hydrogen?  That might be nuclear?  I think we're just talking about a wee smidgen of steam in the combustion chamber to looses/softer the soot?  Cheers

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »
That is my thoughts too Mike but I am always open to learn something new. At my age I should know everything but ask my wife she doesn't realise that at all.

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
Haha.
Yeah, well. Wikipedia link here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)

Talks about the vaporisation and steam.
Also it says: "...may be attributable to the water gas shift reaction, in which CO and H2O shift to form CO2 and H2"
 - that is, Carbon Monoxide and Water transform to Carbon Dioxide and Hydrogen...

But nope, beggared if I can find the link I read, searching my history bar turns up naught. But you can be assured I'll post it when I find it again.

Lcrowther

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 02:36:15 PM »
Hi all, sorry I haven't got back to you all sooner. I managed to get it all working in the end, quite well actually. All it needed was a new plug. And it has been working for the last 3/4 weeks without a problem. However today it has decided not to play again. It coughs and splutters by doesn't go. It's a bit confusing as it was working perfectly well last week.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Luke

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
Well at least it is a step in the right direction. Now for lots of questions because of lack of detail as to what you have tried to revive it.

Check, clean and gap the plug again.

While its out check that it sparks before you fit it back again and tell us what colour the spark is. The engine will spin over easily with the plug out.

Check, clean and gap the points.

Fuel.
Is there a blockage in the fuel pick up or delivery line?

Strip and clean the carby.

Has the air mixture screw been change or moved by itself?

Is the needle and seat blocked or rust in the tank?

Are the v alve clearances correct and are the valves seating?

With spark, compression and fuel it must run so if you are still having issues check the spark timing and let us know how you get on.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2021, 04:28:07 PM »
Sounds like a fuel problem. Have you tried a spot of starting fluid to see if the engine lights up?

Someone has probably already mentioned this but I am too lazy to go back and look. 

When checking for spark it is important to make sure the high voltage spike from the mag or coil has a GOOD ground.
If it doesn't that high energy spike has to go somewhere and it might rupture the coil windings trying to find a ground.

You might get away with it for a while but every time that happens it weakens the coil windings.

Just holding the spark plug against some convenient hunk of metal doesn't always cut it.

Attaching a jumper wire from the plug to a clean shiny spot on the crank case is good insurance.

Lcrowther

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »
Thank you for your ideas, I'll have a look at it next week now. I might have to look at the points again and give them a clean. it was a bit confusing as when you crank it over by the handle it would fire for 1 stroke, it sometimes speeds up and act as if it would start but then cut out after after a couple of fires.
The carb was cleaned out after the float chamber caught fire after the engine back fired so was forced into cleaning it and surrounding parts.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Luke

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
That bit of information helps us.
Pull the plug out and put a small amount of fuel down te plug hole and fit the plug and start it. But it now sounds like fuel or a bad coil/condensor. By trying the fuel down the plug hole this will eliminate the fuel issue and if you have a squirty bottle you can squirt it into the carby to keep it going.

Lcrowther

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2021, 05:22:20 PM »
Ok, I will give that try next time and report back.
Thank you

AddictedToRust

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2023, 10:21:58 AM »
Sorry to drag up an old thre and but this sounds very similar to the issue I have now. What was the fix in the end that got it going?

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »
The OP hant got back with the final report of what did cure his problem.
Since you sound as if you ned help it is b etter to start a new thread of your own so that replies dont get mixed up.

You could read this topic and follow the advise already offered and see how you get on. If you decide to start your own thread give as much detail as you can to the problem and what you have done. Keep us informed.