Puppeteer

Author Topic: More on mounting  (Read 4003 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
More on mounting
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:30:20 AM »
Ok, we have discussed, at length, how to mount a lister to a 1 ton block of concrete, but what about that nice cast iron mounting base that came with a SOM? Anyone know what the official instructions are for mounting one of those?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: More on mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:02:51 AM »
i dunno if this is official, but it is out of a machinery mounting text.

the cast iron base is to be leveled with shims, then grouted to the base, and anchored as level.

then bolt the engine to the cast iron, paying close attention to "soft foot" that is if you have one mount that is high you have to shim it too... use a feeler guage to determine shim thickness.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:39:36 PM »
Ok, we have discussed, at length, how to mount a lister to a 1 ton block of concrete, but what about that nice cast iron mounting base that came with a SOM? Anyone know what the official instructions are for mounting one of those?

The instructions I posted were listers own, about 1.5 tons of concrete in block form not slab form.

NB these instructions came from the Start-o-matic documentation, ___NOT___ bare 6/1 documentation.

Lister did different cast iron (or sometimes welded steel) bases for standalone 6/1 or pump sets etc.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

pops 12/1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:48:35 AM »
 I tried mounting a 12/1 on a trailer, bolted it to two railroad ties, set them on the axel and welded brackets to hold the ends up to the trl. deck. The thing shook so bad it was impossible to use that way. Next was a concrete block, 4 ft long 2 ft wide and 2 ft high with welded rebar that went down through a 5 in. pad. on top of that a piece of conveyor belt 2ft x 4 ft, on top of that a 3/8 in thick steel plate 2x4 and then the engine. The mounting bolts went down into the center and were welded to the rebar. Viola ! Smoothe as can be, the only way to go. And by the way the reason for the height is the previous experience of having 14 in of water on that workshop pad during the last hurricane go round. :D

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:55:24 AM »
I have an 8 hp mounted on 6in I beams mounted on a 10 ft trailer and it runs pretty good / I have screw jacks on all 4 corners and once it warms up, it runs pretty smooth/ I use it to belt power different corn mill and other equipment/ sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 03:55:24 AM »
Hi Pops,
Glad you clarified the 2' high base. I was beginning to wonder just how tall you really were. And when I noticed the hole in the roof of the shed I was really beginning to wonder.
Noticed you were our 500 member. There must be some kind of special prize coming your way for that one.
Nice set up you have there. I Hope you don't have to use it, but am sure it will do you great service. Welcome to the forum, and keep us posted . binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.