Puppeteer

Author Topic: Multiple questions  (Read 1592 times)

Brad Silwood

• View Profile
Multiple questions
« on: April 15, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »
I really enjoy looking through the pics of everyone's setup. There are a few of you that are completely over the top, and have some of the most beautiful engine, starter, genny, permanent and mobile installations and belt combinations. I am taking serious mental notes of all your great work, and hope to get my project even "close" to that level.

Luckily, after I used plastigage to check my TDC clearance, I wasn't able to immediately put the head right back on, which was a good thing. I had been doing a bunch of reading here, and came across posts about separated head gaskets causing probs with leaking water. There was talk about gluing the gasket back together, or painting with something - but no definitive answer. I am now ready to slap my head back on, and I do have one of these separated head gaskets. It is 15 years old, but since it was only run at the factory before shipping (maybe), it looks great even though it has come apart. What should I do with it - OR, will 150 ft lbs of torque keep it together ?

My second question is about the spoked flywheels. Is there a right and a left side - or an inside and an outside ?

Lastly for today - What is the absolute best way to hammer back in the gib keys. When do you know that you have the gib set correctly. I do own some powerful equipment that will kill you instantly, and I have SERIOUS RESPECT for, and pay attention when I'm using them. I put these CS engines in this same category. I can't imagine having a 100 pound flywheel coming off and running through a home or a yard, and then the unbalanced engine cartwheeling. It makes me nervous when I watch youtube vids, and guys start these things not held in place and they're hopping around the floor. What do they plan on doing when 600 pounds is running and unmanageable ? I was watching a video of Veggies setup, and I saw just outside his gib key, he had a circular lock of some kind, maybe allen insert set screws. I want a pair of these in addition to the gibs, so if someone has a link to those safety rings, that would be great. Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:46:08 PM by Brad Silwood »
Lovson 6/1, 23.5 " spoke style flywheels, has not run yet
Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel  B100
John Deere 4020  B100
3 Polaris diesel 4x4 ATV's  B100
'85 MB 300D  B100
'82 MB 300D  B100

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Multiple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 09:14:18 PM »
Here is a source for the collars in North America. https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-collars/shaft-collars/

I'm sure they can be found cheaper elsewhere but this is a good starting point.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:27:13 PM »
@ Brad
In no particular order
Split collar for crankshaft   https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bore-DOUBLE-SPLIT-STEEL-2-PCS-CLAMPING-SHAFT-COLLAR-BLACK-OXIDE-Free-Ship/183744085432
If yu fit the keys properly, there is no real need for these collars. I use them though on both my engines.

Flywheel orientation......the flywheel keyways are tapered. small end goes toward the crankcase. Listeroid flywheels can go either side. Startomatic flywheel with grooves for belt go on the far side of the engine.

As for the gaskets, I have soaked mine in a silicone based grout sealer......that works. Also Permetex aviation gasket sealer  is used by some. Maybe other members will add to this one.

Gib Keys........You don't want to just whack them in. They must be fitted. this involves careful filing with lamp black  (from a candle flame works for me) There are commercial dyes used by machinists that also work, but I don't have any.
Have a search around this site for fitting Gib keys there are several threads.

Here's a good page  https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7308.msg82352#msg82352
Follow 38AC's advice, he restores engines and knows his stuff.

Cheers Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 03:29:58 AM »

Lastly for today - What is the absolute best way to hammer back in the gib keys. 

I made a tool to both remove and install the keys. It's a pipe that hooks to a slide hammer. It's working "face" is a robust steel part welded on. If I remember, I'll take a picture. The tool works well.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Brad Silwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 08:08:40 AM »

Thanks for the links to the split shaft collars. A pair of those will be on there way shortly.

@ Hugh - Once you mentioned the taper in the hub, I couldn't believe I was such a knucklehead and didn't catch that myself. Absolutely correct, small end inward. Now that I've kinda visualized the taper in both pieces, (hub & gib key) and the ink or soot marking methods, our point is to have maximum surface area fitting of the tapered parts, with a firm hit, to lock in place.

And, as far as 38ac goes, he is way up there near the top of my Christmas list. Yes, he sure does know his stuff and I've got nothin' but mad respect for him. I mentioned previously, before I had even found this forum again, I was rebuilding. When I had a problem, I went to youtube and found the most reliable looking source. I found an awesome source alright. Then I found this forum again, and after reading posts for weeks, along with video clips ya'll post on here, one day I clicked on a link someone posted about timing. When I clicked on it, "It was that guy", there was the video that helped me with my timing 6 weeks earlier. Maybe the names (youtube/forum name) weren't the same, maybe I'm just getting old, but it took me a minute to put it all together. So, I was missing 1 part after 15 years of my CS being disassembled/cleaned - and I don't have any teenagers to blame it on. After seeing the respect he has here, I sent him an email out of the blue. I was a total stranger with not even a single forum post, and he has gone above and beyond the call of duty to help me.   

Lovson 6/1, 23.5 " spoke style flywheels, has not run yet
Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel  B100
John Deere 4020  B100
3 Polaris diesel 4x4 ATV's  B100
'85 MB 300D  B100
'82 MB 300D  B100

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
Glad you got the help you needed, Brad.  +1 on the Permatex Aviation Gasket goop as head gasket sealer.  It's worked well for me to eliminate the coolant seeping of asbestos filled copper Rajkot gaskets from seeping coolant. A trick I learned here from Jack Beck (Hotater) many years ago.

I also concur on help from 38AC, he has been a boon for me as well.  His video on idler gear placement/timing makes a complex problem simple. That's something few can do. Gary at DES is another hero to me for his help with a very successful 8/1 conversion to propane.  Having serious technical backup via this forum makes tackling these great "hobby" engines viable...and fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures or video of your newly assembled engine running!

Best Wishes,
Bruce