Author Topic: Engine identification Lister-Petter HR2  (Read 1697 times)

Chris_DK

• View Profile
Engine identification Lister-Petter HR2
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
Greetings. I have this very nice Lister-Petter HR2 sitting in my barn. As far as I understand it is a
HR2
CCW rotating
Built in 1990
Number 95 produced that year.
I read somewhere that the numbering system was changed in the eighties, so I am in doubt if it is correct.
What does 910 stand for? 
The engine plate reads
4000095HR2A910

Thanks
(It starts very easily and sounds so beefy – waiting for oil and filters before running it again)
SR2
HR2

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Engine identification Lister-Petter HR2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 12:55:18 PM »
lovely engine. hopefully you will change all the filters to be certain that all is in best condition. Engine oil, air and fuel filters. If doing the fuel filter then remember to bleed it all the wa along the fuel system. I bleed mine when needed into and out of the fuel filter housing then inlet and outlet of the pump then at the injector. It just makes it so easy. May even be worthwhile slipping the fuel tank off and cleaning it inside as well.
If you intend to put the engine back to work then I would run the engine and get it warm then drop the old oil out, maybe even a flush out with some kerosine and drain that too then add the new oil and filter.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Chris_DK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 09:14:01 PM »
Yep, ordered fuel and oil filter - the airfilter is oil,so just needs a clean and fresh oil. I do intend to put it to work. As it is 22,6 HP @1500rpm I plan to run a 10-12KW generator, to take me partly or over time completeley off the electrical grid. As I am on a microscopic budget i would like to try out WMO and mayby WVO, but I have not researched if this engine is even suitable for that, which is a bit backwards :). Have you tried alternative fuels on your HR2?
The general idea was to have two gensets, a small one and a big one, so I'd have a back up and the small one promarily for summer and the big one primarily for winter and heating a large thermal batteri - anyway I am learning along the way and with the moneyb tank on low, it will take some time.

SR2
HR2

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:28:25 AM »
Hi Chris
Not sure what these are (WMO WVO) but assume they are alternative fuels. I have had no experience with these but there is a big thread on this Forum that covers this topic. I have no clue if they cause any excess wear and tear or not. I have been to Rallies where you can smell cooking oils being burnt in diesel engines and all it does for me is make me hungry.
Not sure of the cost of refining your own fuels and the time and trouble to make them or how much energy it takes to make it in the first place. All of these things you can find out in that area which is specially designed to help you out.

Chris_DK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:16:04 AM »
Priority number one is of course to make the engine start and run well on diesel, but I am a very curious soul, so I'll have to check out the alt fuels at some point, WMO = waste motor oil, WVO=waste vegetable oil.
SR2
HR2

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 12:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply. As I suggested there is a huge section on those 2 alternatives plus another 3 so that will keep you busy reading for a while.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Hi Chris

I think Cobba pin the point, and if you have a micro budget, dont jeopardize it. An HR (2, 3, 4 or 6) are direct injection and high RPM.

LEF members that uses WMO or WVO has low RPM engines Lister CS or listeroids, and thoes "fuels" need fine filtering, centrifuge to separate water, mixing to start and even heating to flow better.

Do you really need 10 KW? or 5 or 3 is sufficient?

Just a few cent to the rant!

BR
VP

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:41:47 PM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

Chris_DK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
I hear you guys.

From preliminary calculations for winter months -  i need to run the 10 kw for approximately 4½ hours every day to heat a thermal water battery of 1000 liters from 20 degC to 60degC.

I have som powerhungry 400V tools, but have not yet made calculations to the exact need, point taken I,ll go back to the drawing board for power needs and fuel type.
SR2
HR2

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »
Let us know how you get on, I do find it interesting.