Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Lister Muffler Project

(1/5) > >>

veggie:
Some have had adequate noise reduction using a 25 lb propane bottle.
The idea I wanted to try was to have 2 bottles in series creating a first stage expansion, and then a second stage expansion.
I purchased two 5 gallon portable air compressor tanks and with the help of a welder friend, added a few threaded ports so that the two tanks could be screwed together.
Also added were 2 threaded ports for inlet and outlet.
The outlet port is oriented to allow a vertical stack to be added.

Below are pictures during construction....

Here are two videos of the tests that I ran.
I must point out that in both cases there is also an automotive muffler at the engine (which are almost useless on their own).

First is a test with the listeroid. I did this test before finishing and painting the unit in case it was a failure.
It turns out that the muffler did a fine job of almost eliminating the noise. (Neighbours cannot hear it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRx_mrKnouU

Second test was after the unit was completed and connected to a changfa engine running at 1150 rpm.
You will note that the engine is mechanically loud indoors, but outside the muffler is extremely effective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefDlxHy1uU

<click on pictures to enlarge>

Veggie

BruceM:
Nice work, Veggie, that seems to have enough expansion volume to do the job nicely,

For my neighbor's DES 8/1 converted to propane project, we used a "leach-field muffler" using 3 inch leach-field rock in a trench with 2" holed pipe inlet and 4 inch plastic drain pipe outlet and 4" vent cap above ground.   That completely eliminates exhaust noise. It also cleans the exhaust odors; I recommend it where exhaust fumes coming back to home or workspace might be problematic.  It can be a bargain if done at the same time the septic leach-field system is being installed.  We used about 40 foot of trench, which is more than enough.

broncodriver99:
WOW! That is a dramatic reduction in sound.

dax021:
Why don't you turn that outlet pipe to face downwards?  That way it won't fill your tank with rainwater.

CS Dave:
Will you bury the tanks or keep them above ground?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version