Author Topic: It's been a long road to my first post  (Read 1516 times)

Brad Silwood

• View Profile
It's been a long road to my first post
« on: March 30, 2021, 07:53:33 AM »
Through the biodiesel forums, is how I first heard of these engines. When I found out they would be very difficult to import, I ran across a Lovson CS 6/1 23.5" spokes, in the crate, and brought it home. I stumbled across George B, bought his CD and printed off a hard copy to a 3 ring binder, found this forum in 2006 and signed up as Houndog. I tore my Lovson completely down and went through every wall and piece of that girl to make sure there was no sand, as I learned here. At that time there was this 40 dollar a quart red stuff called Glyptal, that was all the rage, and did it. Unfortunately, my company was navigating some tough times in there, and my 6/1 had to wait.

15 years later, the engine is just about back together, without all the caked up "paint", and all the "paint" cleaned off the linkage, nuts, bolts, springs and every where else it shouldn't be, it looks so much better, and everything is seated, grinded and torqued correctly. The linkage was binding in the movement, not allowing the rack to function properly - fixed. Just a few things I'm waiting on before the flywheels go back on. I unfortunately couldn't remember the email addy that I used for Houndog to resurrect it, but I'm here with my first post - finally. I'm very happy to be here, and cant wait to hear my girl sing.
Lovson 6/1, 23.5 " spoke style flywheels, has not run yet
Ford Excursion 4x4 7.3 diesel  B100
John Deere 4020  B100
3 Polaris diesel 4x4 ATV's  B100
'85 MB 300D  B100
'82 MB 300D  B100

38ac

• View Profile
Re: It's been a long road to my first post
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 11:03:34 AM »
Welcome
You are certainly not alone in setbacks with a Listeroid project. I have picked up a dozen or so over the years after people just gave up on them due to life's other needs. When you hear it run it will be very satisfying. There is a pretty good chance that the injector pintle will be stuck after sitting that long. If you have fuel delivery to the injector but not creak noise that's you clue to a stuck pintle.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:10:27 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 02:28:11 PM »
Welcome! I know the feeling, I have one that has been in pieces for a few years and a couple sitting there waiting for me to get to them. Congrats on getting back to it and making some progress.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 02:54:29 PM »

You took the GREEN pill !
Welcome to the Matrix   ;D

veggie

- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:30:38 AM »

Brad, your post is comforting if not enabling...lol  I have yet to run any of my 3 project engines I've acquired in the last 3 years. First and 3rd ones are all apart. I was feeling quite guilty until I read your 15 year number....then I was just scared. I need and will get back to my project this summer! Thanks for the inspiration!
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 12:15:01 AM »
Welcome aboard Brad, similarly I imported 6 'roids about 4 years ago and so far 1 is completed and hooked up to an ST generator and the other 5 are still in the crates.

Post a video when you get it running. It's good inspiration for the rest of us addicts ;D
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.