Author Topic: Resleeving a CS  (Read 1841 times)

Lochbank

• View Profile
Resleeving a CS
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »
So I have a CS 5/1 or 6/1 Startomatic that had an Alloy piston + 60 thou.  I am thinking of fitting the thin CS sleeve from Stationary Engine Parts and then fit a standard cast iron piston back in.  Has anyone bored out a block to fit this sleeve and able to let me know the sizes and tolerances required to press this sleeve in?       Cheers.
Lister CS SOM 6/1 in bits!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Resleeving a CS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:19:54 PM »
Talk to 38AC - Butch. He has done this same work for us in the past - with excellent results.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
Also have startomatic with very worn bore. I had it re-sleeved and re-bored to original size. Cost $200 CAD. Refitted with std. bore piston. I do not know the machining specs. Work was done by a local engine rebuilder, an old timer who actually remembered the engines from way back. The replacement sleeve was not obtained from SEP, the machinist obtained  it from his own  sources here in Canada.
The engine/generator now powers my shop.
Cheers
Hugh
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:13:13 PM by Hugh Conway »
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:59:21 AM »
Hi, I also answered your question on the CS facebook page. I have sleeved quite a few since it is a more simple way to renew a CS bore without stocking dozens of various oversize pistons and ring sets.  If the installation instructions do not come with that sleeve don't use it. I use L.A. Sleeve and  Clevite. If your not doing the work yourself trust it to a shop that knows what they are doing as dry sleeve jobs can be(and are) screwed up by those who cannoy follow manufactures instructions.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Lochbank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 10:04:29 PM »
Cheers 38ac.  I spoke to the company supplying the sleeve.  There are no machining, fitting instructions with the sleeve.  The local engineering firm that I spoke to are not familiar with sleeving such an old engine but are able carry out the work to a very accurate tolerance hence their questions about the fitting. As yet no one else has offered any help with sizing, tolerances, and pressing pressures, etc, on actually fitting this sleeve to my block. I'll give it a few more days before I decide.
Cheers for your comments so far.
Lister CS SOM 6/1 in bits!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 01:25:25 AM »
If you CK the FB page I gave you some installation info there but here again.

For the sleeves I use you measure the sleeve diameter about 1 inch from one end. Then measure again at right angle.  Go to the other end and do same. The sum of all 4 measurments divided by 4 is your sleeve O.D. Subtract .0025 from that and that's your press fit bore diameter.  I leave a shoulder in the bottom to press the skeeve against and order them long enough to require a skim cut on top. The sleeve must be bored again after insertion, at least mine require it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 05:48:17 AM »
If you CK the FB page ..........

got a link to the FB page, I found a couple, but not the ONE  ?