Author Topic: how much oil  (Read 1215 times)

CS Dave

• View Profile
how much oil
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:03:20 PM »
Hi There fellow CS owners. I have a 1943 5/1 and an 1963 SoM 8/1.

I thought both could do with a full oil change - the book I have says 5 pints each. I took out the splash plate and cleared all the oil out and washed/flushed out the sumps and filters on both.

When I put them both back together and refilled the oil, 5 pints seems a bit too much (I refilled the splash area and ran both engines for 15 mins before re-checking the levels, all from the same 5 pint jug).

Some books say fill to an inch from the oil fill hole, I have seen others say fill up a bit higher. Both my engines would overflow if I put in the full 5 pints.

Its not a problem, I am just a bit curious.
1945 Lister CS 5/1 driving a sawbench
1963 Lister CS 8/1 Startomatic  4.5 KVA

38ac

• View Profile
Re: how much oil
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
Irregardless the of the suggested quantities the proper sump level is just below the bottom of the the fill hole when the upper sump is full. It hurts nothing to be higher but will cause seepage around the fill cap.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

CS Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:26:59 PM »
Thanks, I thought that would be a safe bet.  Both mine are full to about 1/4inch below the oil fill hole when they have stood for a few days (allowing for drain back)

I have a few Lister books that show them taking 5 pints, I wonder if that's completely dry from new or after a rebuild (there's some oil retained up near the cam shaft I think)?

1945 Lister CS 5/1 driving a sawbench
1963 Lister CS 8/1 Startomatic  4.5 KVA

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »
Takes a small amount to fill the pump and lines but otherwise nothing is retained in the engine. Possibly changes in the casting over the years would be my guess?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel