Puppeteer

Author Topic: SR3 with a winpower 15 kva gen head  (Read 1523 times)

janthony

• View Profile
SR3 with a winpower 15 kva gen head
« on: March 08, 2021, 02:29:39 AM »
I've got a 1973 SR3 with a winpower 15 kva gen head - trying to sort out some of the wiring for the electric start / charging system but I'm not having any luck locating much in the way of wiring diagrams. I've always been fond of listers and when this one came up for sale locally (within about 600 miles) I jumped on it.
It's set up as a 3 phase (120/208 volt) and the house is only single phase so looking to sort that out as well.
Have changed the oil and filter(Fresh 10W40 as sae 30 is quite rare in this part of Canada), air and fuel filters.
Is there any resource or diagram that anyone could point me to to help sort out the diagram (see last picture)?
Also, does anyone know the proper size belt for the dynamo/generator to charge the battery? My mechanic threw away the old, cracked one without noting the number.
Any suggestions or advice you have is also welcome!
Thank you!

janthony

• View Profile
Re: SR3 with a winpower 15 kva gen head
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 04:38:13 AM »
Also,  I'd like to give it a test run and have a shop / service manual on the way but It's coming from the US so it will be some time.

Does anyone know how the throttle / stop mechanism works?

It seems to me that the throttle is connected to the large solenoid (#1) by linkage (#2) and is the stop lever the short lever by the arrow?

Without putting too much force on anything for fear of breaking / bending it nothing mentioned above seems to want to move freely - any suggestions?

Thank you!

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »
There is no stop lever. The solenoid pulls the throttle governor lever open via linkage#2 and the external spring returns it to the stop position when power is cut to the solenoid.

janthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 03:58:32 PM »
Thank you.  It seems I may be missing a control box that would send / cut voltage to the solenoid at the appropriate times?
Thanks again!

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 02:23:15 AM »
Kinda looks that way.

Why couldn't the solenoid be controlled by a simple on off switch until something better is found ?

I would think a good way to start would be to disconnect the solenoid and test it but also take that opportunity to work on the frozen linkage. Loosen nuts and bolts if needed and  using some rust buster or oil and tap the linkage here and there or what ever your common sense tells you. The linkage looks pretty sturdy, worst case would be some heat carefully applied  heat it up but let it cool before prying..

Might want to disconnect the other end of the linkage also.