Author Topic: Uk heating oul  (Read 8211 times)

• View Profile
Uk heating oul
« on: February 26, 2021, 01:29:18 PM »
Hi All

Can't see anything below that quite covers my query

I live off grid and use a Lister CS 8/1 for the heavy duty power for my workshop equipment (lathe, welder etc) .... while I was working the Rayburn in the house was run on oil as I wasn't there to stoke it over winter .... I've since gone over to wood for this purpose.

This leaves me with 500 litres or so of heating oil in the tank .... as the Lister use is just on demand for specific tasks this would last for ages.

Finally to the question ..... can I use the heating oil in my Lister, either neat or mixed with the red diesel I currently run it on.

Many thanks.

K

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Uk heating oul
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
Don't use it neat - it doesn't have any lubricity, so it'll cause massive wear in your injector pump in short order. However, mixed with diesel (not sure of the proportions, but I'd have thought 50:50 should be plenty), it will work fine.

I'm not sure if diesel & heating oil are properly miscible, so it may be that they separate into layers over time (an experiment in a jam-jar will prove the concept; if you get distinct layers forming, they're not miscible). In that case, it'll still work, but you'd want to mix small batches of fuel at a time, rather than just treating a whole barrel. In that case, it may also be worth setting up a valve so you can switch to diesel for startup/shutdown.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 12:41:27 AM »
The main equipment that is affected by low lubricity fuel would be rotary pumps. In Alaska we run only one type of fuel oil for everything including all the diesel generators (it is very light and dry). The additive of choice is simply a little biodiesel. Diesel trucks sometimes add a bit of automatic transmission fluid (Dexron) to deal with the lubrication problem. Many companies offer lubricity additives under various names. Fuel oil #1 will readily mix with most lubricating and other light oils. Really none of this has a major concern for a slow-speed Lister though.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 05:06:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies .... I will use it with some red diesel mixed in.

Many Thanks

K

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »
Consider a bit of Two Stroke fuel oil instead.
It's made for excellent lubrication when diluted 40:1
Would probably help the injector pump and valve guides
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:30:18 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 04:10:56 AM »
I live in an area where low sulfur fuel is mandated and I use 200:1  2 stroke oil mixed into my diesel, for the 6/1, the other diesel genset and the tractor. I don't want to replace fuel pumps and injectors because of wear.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
Interesting how heating oil varies in different areas. Growing up on the farm the fuel truck filled up our heating oil tank and diesel tank in the same trip many times,, with the same fuel. Around these parts  the standard "fuel oil" is #2
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 10:45:33 AM »
I live in an area where low sulfur fuel is mandated and I use 200:1  2 stroke oil mixed into my diesel, for the 6/1, the other diesel genset and the tractor. I don't want to replace fuel pumps and injectors because of wear.

I also used 2 stroke oil at one time but at the suggestion of my fuel guy I switched to Power Service fuel conditioner in the white can. Unless you are getting a great deal on 2 stroke oil the fuel conditioner will cost less and do more for you.  Lubrication Specialties is just down the road from me makes the best stuff sold as Hot Shots Secrete but it is quite spendy.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:21:26 PM »
Re fuel additives to increase lubricity: I think I posted this link a long time ago, but that WAS a long time ago, so here it is again
https://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/copy-of-diesel-fuel-additive-version-3.pdf

This study was published in 2007 so there may be better choices now. However it in this study, it looks like 2 stroke oil helps, but not much. It's interesting though.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »
Thanks for that great report, Gary.  I remember it now but needed the reminder!
Wish I had a biodiesel source in my area, that's clearly the hands down winner. (For my '85 300D.) No surprise, it's what Gary (DES) recommended.