Puppeteer

Author Topic: Engine paint  (Read 2017 times)

AndyC

• View Profile
Engine paint
« on: February 07, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
Just acquired a Lister HW6 engine. Can anyone tell me what the original paint colour was and recommend a paint to use to repaint it?

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Engine paint
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 10:58:35 AM »
Mid Brunswick Green was a popular colour on Listers unless it was in an industrial set up when they were a Yellow.
I have painted a few engines from stationary, mowers and tractors.
I have used high temp engine enamel and 2pak paint straight onto the bare metal.
On the mower the top of the cylinder and head the paint burns off using high temp engine enamel, same with the exhaust manifold on the tractor using 2pak and stationary engines are great when water cooled but head still burns it and air cooled engines have the same issue as the mower.
Aparently there are some very expensive ceramic coating paints that I think require baking on that will stand up to the job but I have only seen one job painted in that stuff and the engine is not running yet, it has to wait for the restoration of the car first.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »
As Cobbadog stated Mid Brunswick Green is the color in GB but take that name or British Standard BS381 226 to a paint dealer in the states you will get nothing but stupid looks. Matter of fact is a near impossible to match it here and I am told it has to due with EPA regs on VOCs. I have used British racing green and for quick jobs Rust-oleum Forrest green in a spray can works well enough.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:54:14 PM »
I took the Lister green to a paint store and had it matched to a universal paint number.
For anyone interested it is in the image below.
<click image to enlarge>

cheers
veggie
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:49:44 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 12:44:01 AM »
Gentles

MBG, BS381 226, has also a temperature resistence. Paint store made mine to hang 180 ºC.

Stay safe.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

mihit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 05:25:20 AM »
From my notes:
I got some matched at a paint shop Brunswick Green is correct, RGB 27,77,62

But could substitute Hunter Green 53,94,59 or British Racing Green 1,66,37

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 12:33:54 PM »
Don't assume it is simply called Brunswick Green. They made 3 shades of it, Light, Mid and Dark Brunswick Green and they are very different to one another.
AS for wich paint that is personal and will also depend on what is getting painted, is it for show or going back to work again? I use 2pak on many things now from mowers stationary engines and tractors. All with great success but no good on exhaust manifolds or mufflers as it does burn or change colour. The exhaust manifold on my David Brown Cropmaster ent from Hunting Pink (red) to now being an off coloured brown. But everywhere else has stood up to the task with no side effects except for one, fuel spillage. Now I am talking about petrol not diesel and if you do  not wipe fuel spills up quickly it will blister and lift the paint.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.