Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Any one setup for CHP capturing your exhaust heat?

(1/3) > >>

gadget:
I've been looking through lots of CHP videos and haven't found anyone capturing waste exhaust heat of there listers. Is there a reason to avoid it? Condensation issues?

cujet:
Diesel engines produce plenty of exhaust soot. Cooling the exhaust can add to the problems and reduce heat transfer. There are a number of folks who have done it, and to the best of my knowledge, made it work.

CHP is the holy grail, that's for sure.

Interestingly, with an efficient diesel generator and the use of an efficient heat pump, it's well within the possibilities to get more heat into a building than simply burning the fuel at high efficiencies would produce.

Today, a good "air source" (conventional, like a mini split) heat pump can produce 3x more heat than energy it consumes. Put another way, 2000 watts running power required, 6000 watts of heat produced into the building.

Add in a combined heat system with a well configured diesel of 35% efficiency, and one could, without much difficulty, pump in an additional 3000 watts of heat from cooling and exhaust, producing 9000 watts/30,000 BTU of heat, or 2.5 tons of heat.

saba:
Hello gadget

Actually I am busy welding something together now. I am busy with yanmar chp I was using a poolheater from stainless steel  that was working pretty good.  Due to design flaws fro my side the intake cracked so I am trying to make something myself.
https://www.behncke.com/en/erwaermung/qwt-100/

With the lister som 6-1 I was running a pipe cooler which was working brilliant except for clogging up pretty fast. Pipes were approx 8mm diam and was a big mess to unplug all the pipes. But exhaust temp was same as cooling water temperature as long it was clean.

I am making something new now but takes lot of time and something of the shelve is expensive for just a hobby project. And I still need to find out how it behaves.

Greetings Bernhard

AdeV:
I started playing with an idea for my Lister 6-1 engine. I have some thick-wall aluminium tube of about exhaust size (no idea where it came from!), into which I cut an 10mm round groove using a form tool on the lathe. I wrapped some microbore copper pipe (the sort we use in the UK for central heating systems) into the groove. Filled it with water & fired up the engine. With a load on the engine, the water in the microbore pipe boiled in about 2-3 minutes IIRC. At the time, I didn't have any cladding over the pipe, so it was 50% exposed to air; nor did I have any thermal compound between the pipe and the aluminium tube to improve contact surface area; so I've no doubt the system could be hugely improved with very little extra effort.

I haven't gone any further with that experiment, but I've no doubt I could get a good supply of hot water from it; and it gets hot MUCH faster than the engine block. In fact, I'd be tempted to circulate the hot water through the block initially, until that gets up to temperature, before extracting the heat for personal use...

I'll take a couple of photos of the lash up later, if anyone's interested.

cujet:
 Just a thought, but an EGR cooler from a larger diesel pickup truck or conventional diesel truck is one possible way to recapture exhaust heat. There are a great variety of units available, some of which are designed for high flow and are cleanable.

The use of a functional catalyst upstream of the EGR cooler will result in less EGR cooler contamination and more heat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version