Puppeteer

Author Topic: Chagfa 175 CHP unit - First Test  (Read 489 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Chagfa 175 CHP unit - First Test
« on: January 04, 2021, 08:24:48 PM »
Here's the first test of the new Changfa R175 CHP unit.

Gave me something to do during lockdowns   ;)

Some features/changes to the original engine.
- Larger and better quality air filter
- Machined an adapter to divert oil from the internal screen to an external filter.
  (This increases the oil capacity by almost 1 litre)
- Removed the hopper cooling system and replaced it with a pump driven closed circuit
  loop which passes through a flat plate heat exchanger allowing heat to be removed to a useful application.
- Installed a lighter throttle lever spring which seems to allow the governor to be more sensitive at the lower rpm.

The unit is currently designed to run continuous at 1100 rpm. In this test it is loaded to 900 watts with an electric heater.
At 1500 watts the engine bogs down so I suspect the 900 watt load is approximately 85% of full load.
https://youtu.be/8yGpl7Dmvas

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:27:12 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

gadget

• View Profile
Re: Chagfa 175 CHP unit - First Test
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 02:15:14 AM »
Veggie, you have so many cool engines.

That water pump you have on there may have a longer life if you rotate it 90 degrees so the impeller/magnets ride on the ceramic shaft. Also, im curious what temps it see's with this setup. I've worked with many of those pumps. Is it a 2 phase or 3?

I love your builds

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 03:06:43 PM »

Thank gadget,

The pump is a 12 volt solar hot water unit. It is wired to a toggle switch at the starter button.
I will look at the data sheet and check the allowable orientations for the pump.
Ideally the pump and heat exchanger would be mount "off-skid". But this is for testing the concept.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 03:09:26 PM »
Another impeccable build!  As we would expect from you!
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 02:45:32 AM »

Thank gadget,

The pump is a 12 volt solar hot water unit. It is wired to a toggle switch at the starter button.
I will look at the data sheet and check the allowable orientations for the pump.
Ideally the pump and heat exchanger would be mount "off-skid". But this is for testing the concept.

The ceramic bearing types will have a long skin white bearing / shaft with ceramic side washers. If you lay it sideways, The rotor rotates on the shaft and not the side washers. It should add much more life. You will see it the first time you ever have to pull it apart to free it from debris.

Great pumps, I have dozens of them. I have one about 30 feet down in the ground pumping ground water 24/7. It gets ran for about 4 months strait every winter geo heating my green house.

I am really curious how well it holds up to the high temps. I have a project down the road where I would like to run one at 150F.