Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel filter recommendation please  (Read 1909 times)

Randybee1

• View Profile
Fuel filter recommendation please
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:56:59 AM »
 I'm looking at getting a "better" fuel filter system for my Perkins 402d-05 engine. Currently, I have the typical pleated filter in the little plastic housing (with the shut off lever) but was looking at a genuine Perkins filter set up. I was all set to buy this an noticed in the description that is said..."complete secondary fuel filter". So now I'm confused. Do I need an additional fuel filter in my system? This was going to be my primary (and only) filter.

https://shop.perkins.com/filters-and-fluids/miscellaneous/id-2656615/FUEL-FILTER

Thanks,
Randy

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Fuel filter recommendation please
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:46:28 PM »
I always recommend a Racor unit. There are quite a few flow sale on ebay such as the link provided. You can use one filter as long as you have decently clean fuel supply, the correct miron rating element and a water seperator.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284080524816
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:04:47 AM »
Thanks.. Was just confused about the "secondary" filter note.

So what does a water separator get me? I understand that if I do not run my engine for awhile if there is water in the fuel  it will settle to the bottom of these filter/separator bowls to be drained out.
But if there is water in the bottom of this filter wouldn't there be a boatload more water setting in the bottom of my tank? These do not work like an agglomorator  so I'm just confused about their usefulness.  My 86 diesel Jetta had a water separator exactly where it should be.. at the bottom of the tank. You were supposed to every once in awhile push the check valve and drain the water out.

Randy

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 11:08:18 AM »
There is no magic to the water seperator. Its just a place for the heavier water to go instead if into the filter media.  The Racor units have a clear bottom so it can be seen and drained as needed. If your tank has a built-in trap that does the same thing.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 12:16:15 PM »
So would you recommend putting in a pre filter ahead of the Racor? And I'm assuming the Racor filter needs to be placed lower than my fuel tank?

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 12:27:05 PM »
OK... Racor has been ordered. What are your thoughts on running the fuel return line to the filter? as opposed to the tank. I've read some guys are doing this but not sure if it makes sense.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 09:05:51 PM »
Return line back to the filter.......
On our engine, we installed a CAV filter similar the that Racor mentioned by Butch and mounted in the same place as on a Dursley Lister. The injector overflow is routed back to a tee just ahead of the filter inlet. The engine is using a genuine Lister fuel tank with the float and sloped bottom. The tank has a fitting near the top for fuel return, but we're not using it. The only reason for routing the overflow to the filter is that it's closer than the tank. Seems to work OK. I suppose if the return line broke, it would empty the tank.
Otherwise......
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Randybee1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 10:50:45 PM »
Well that simplifies things considerably. I'll route it to the filter. Thanks Hugh
Randy