How to / DIY > Generators

Pulling the shaft on an ST head?

(1/4) > >>

dkwflight:
Hi I've been thinking about putting an extra fly wheel on a st head.
If an extra long shaft were made for a st head the opposite side could carry some sort of fly wheel.
York has a 100 lb barbell weight that looks symetrical and could be machined for a tapered collar easily.
Dennis

Doug:
You probably would be better served to take the rotor to a good auto machine shop and ask them to cut and weld the shaft to length.

I did this years ago....
A standard electric motor T frame has a normal looking shaft. A JP pump motor has a longer odd looking shaft. My good ( retired ) machinist friend would cut bevle and subarc a new longer chunk of steel and remachine the new shaft to except the SS sleave and fit into the pump housing.

Result I made an expensive JP motor ( or JM did that too ) from a cheap T frame
And this would probaly bew the best thing for you. You might be able to press the shat out of the rotor, but I doubt you could do it without some damage ( possibly the not easily hacked kind )

Doug

Rtqii:
This can be done... Remember that a barbell is not speed rated for 1800 RPM however ;)  I would look at maybe bolting some steel auto/truck/tractor flywheels on.

As for shafting... Rather than pull and modify the rotor, just direct couple the end of the rotor to a jackshaft on its own bearings (pillow block bearings) and mount the drive pulley to the jackshaft instead of the ST shaft.

As far as costs: this depends on the shaft diameter (material cost), whether or not you need to have a custom coupler (say a 48 mm to 2") or whether it is cheaper to machine down the one end of the jackshaft to accept an off the shelf coupler (say 48 mm to 48 mm).

I got a quote back from Associated Steel today on a 2 inch shaft of hardened steel shaft (exceeds 1045) with some custom machining (one end necked to 48 mm to direct couple with an ST shaft and the other end drilled for a pilot bearing to mount a flywheel and clutch... $465.00  :o

mobile_bob:
you might try lookin into hd truck axle shaft,, some are up to and over 2"
you have to machine the ends anyway,,, so just have em run a pass down the length to the size you want..

not sure of the metallurgy but likely plenty good stuf, and a heck of alot cheaper

bob g

GuyFawkes:

--- Quote from: dkwflight on August 16, 2006, 02:42:04 AM ---
York has a 100 lb barbell weight that looks symetrical and could be machined for a tapered collar easily.

--- End quote ---

spinning up barbells is an excercise is making a potential bomb.

(PS moving home so quiet over the next 3 weeks or so. No, not off grid)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version