Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

timing belt conversion on youtube

(1/5) > >>

gadget:
Anyone seen this mod or something like this? Looks like maybe a custom camshaft or is the housing removed to mount a belt drive sprocket on the end of the camshaft? Apparently this guy got tired of dealing with his idler breaking;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlXTeF0wOts

BruceM:
An impressive timing belt conversion project.

The idler failure was sorted out by Dave (XYZer) over a decade ago. He found that errors in the idler gear bolt location where consistently causing grossly excessive gear lash.  Once people corrected that by offset idler bolts, which Dave most graciously had made in a variety of offsets, there has never been gear failure reported on any idler lash-corrected engine.  That was during the heyday of US listeroid/clone imports.

32 coupe:

--- Quote from: BruceM on December 08, 2020, 07:50:12 PM ---An impressive timing belt conversion project.

The idler failure was sorted out by Dave (XYZer) over a decade ago. He found that errors in the idler gear bolt location where consistently causing grossly excessive gear lash.  Once people corrected that by offset idler bolts, which Dave most graciously had made in a variety of offsets, there has never been gear failure reported on any idler lash-corrected engine.  That was during the heyday of US listeroid/clone imports.

--- End quote ---

Well said.
That and bronze gears.

gadget:

--- Quote from: BruceM on December 08, 2020, 07:50:12 PM ---An impressive timing belt conversion project.

--- End quote ---

Well that is good news for us newbies. My 8/1 is still apart in my garage waiting for some free time to reassemble after I have given it its initial cleaning and painting. I checked my backlash and noticed it was maybe .010-.020 one way, and when I rotated it 90 degrees, It was tight. I'm guessing one of my gears is egg shaped.

BruceM:
I don't believe tight gear lash or out of round gears have ever been reported here before.  Perhaps valve train pressure tricked you. Your finding certainly warrants careful checking.  Anything is possible in a Rajkot made engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version