Author Topic: Spare Parts  (Read 4580 times)

TPXX

• View Profile
Spare Parts
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:50:28 AM »
Ok Fellas,

Post Up! Given the discussion on the various problems encountered with these engines, I thought it would be good to hear a list of essential spare parts that no self respecting listeroid owner should be with out. So post up and lets hear what you experts think. Also beyond the essentials how about nice to haves or money is no object items (no dont say another engine!) Just trying to educate myself, sorry if this has been addressed!

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spare Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:59:54 AM »
every stinking part with the exception of

flywheels
crankcase
jug
head

at a minimum i would want a set of valves, all springs, all brgs, and bushings, std and undersizes, piston rings, new piston and liner w/packing. all seals, orings, spare injector, injector lines, all gskts, valve guides,

oh hell just send me a spare engine....  :)

seriously though if you disassemble and blue print the engine the list of parts will probably deminish, i would think.

but i would probably still have a butt load of spare parts,, i look at my offgrid plan as if i was colonizing mars. :)

bob g

otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:45:31 AM »
oh hell just send me a spare engine....  :)

i look at my offgrid plan as if i was colonizing mars. :)

bob g

As crazy as this sounds... I agree with you, a spare engine. The thing is tho, you and I are setting up off-grid systems and you are powerless without something running.  In my case I won't have lights or any powered shop tools if my big engine goes down for the count, and I will end up with a small portable commerical genset (like a small gas honda) as a third backup... Murphy is my best friend and constant companion and if I ignore him bad things happen.

I think it is easier for "mission critical" applications to have a backup engine that uses the same sized parts. For instance I am buying the Anand 20/2... My ideal backup engine would be the 10/1, as both engines share the same bore & head so your set of spares becomes a choice of: do I have a spare part in stock, do I borrow a spare from my backup engine, or do I put my backup engine on-line until I can get the part(s) I need?  This also gives me the room to take the larger engine off-line for an extensive overhaul and still be able to keep power tools and lights running during the down time.

If you are just looking for a list of basic spare parts and you are not planning a Mars mission like we are... You will want a set of gaskets, a set of bearing shells for the big end of the rod, spare injector lines, maybe some valve and oil pump springs... A spare injector & pump would give you an entire replacement for the fuel system...

A lot of these decisions are simply based on how critical it is to have the engine running. Most of the bigger issues you are going to see outside of something catastrophic (like a train wreck in your valve train/cam works) is going to give you some warning - and if you are not running 24/7 in a mission critical application you should have time to get replacements before a complete failure occurs.

Doug

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:44 AM »
I purchased a 10-1 Petter from Anand. I bought every single spare with the exception of a rod.

Parts are cheap so get complete heads, pistons, rings and liners. Get injectors and pump rebuild kits. Get a crank its easier than machining ( and get Gib keys I didn't ). I bought three sets of bearings not a bad idea incase of sand. Get all the gaskets and that way you can make copies. Cam gears ect....
Somethings I bought I didn't need but thought they might be handy to tinker with.

Doug

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Again, the difference in your need for spare parts is your intention.  If you are going to be completely off-grid, then you should be considering a spare engine and head, already set up on a skid and ready to drop into place if you have a catastrophic problem.  Additionally, keep all the usual suspects - head gaskets, rings, bearings, shells etc.  For those that use the machines for back-up only, remember the golden rule - it will only break when you are using it!

John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 11:59:21 PM »
I'm paranoid, and plan to test this engine not run this engine. There is a distinction I want to know what fails so I can get a better engine built.

Doug

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 10:52:46 AM »
Doug:

Paranoia is BAD.......Run the engine - it will work.  Remember that most of the problems you see on this board are from people looking for fixes and also remember that it is only a tiny percentage of those actuallly owning Listeroids that are having serious problems.  For the most part, once you get it up and running the first time, most likely you are going to have a reliable engine.  Little things that need fixing "along the way" are generally easy to do, it's just a matter of being on top of the problem quickly.

There are a lot more people than you think out there running these engines for extended periods - and more are trying it every day with few problems.  Boards such as this are valuable tools to help those who are a little timid around heavy machinery, especially when there are people present willing to give advice and help you along.  Don't listen to the nay-sayers, they are merely time wasters who do not have the balls to get into this stuff deeply and are jealous of those that do - and fellas, you KNOW who you are! 
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »
amen  John:

right on,, what he said man... :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:45:02 PM »
"Their two motors had been dismantled, and it seemed they were trying to swap parts to get one working,"

This from the news story about the three Mexican fishermen rescued after nine (or three) months in the Pacific.

Is there an untold story here?   Two others are said to have "jumped overboard...".   Maybe those were the two that dropped the wrenches?
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 05:56:05 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence John but the extra 200 bucks I spent means I can run what I got and not worry too much. I have a ready head block and liner if needed. I can swap out a crank and cam on a whim and have tghe bearings to do it and should someone here need it I can pass along a piston and rings or bearing.

There are other 102 mm Petters out there that I have parts for but I don't see too many people carring parts. Not to say I purchased these to swap but I have them.

Doug

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18:12 AM »
I have found that the spares I ordered have higher quality than what came inside my engine. FWIW, I can find little fault with any of the spares.

I think it is a better idea to order a boatload of spares than an extra engine for spare parts. The parts in a complete engine have some time on them, as the engine has been test run. This can result in hidden damage.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Doug

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 01:08:19 AM »
I got that impression from your experience and I admit that it changed the way I looked at the engines.

I also have enough wiggle room in the parts bin to try things. Maybe a spark ignition conversion of my engine for 100 % producer gas opperation.

I don't know but I have options.

What I don't have right now is an engine or the spare parts....

I didn't ask for an off the shelf engine but we're pushing 5 months now. I hope its worth the wait.

Doug