Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Start-o-matic relay sequency

<< < (3/3)

AdeV:
AIUI, the SOM system doesn't need the valve lifter; it's there in case you have to manually start the engine, and we know how difficult that can be without a run-up on the crank handle...

38ac:
Well, I am certainly not an SOM expert. Matter of of fact I have never even seen a complete unit in person. However I have had several ex SOM CS type engines through the shop including my current build and all of them decompress the engine with the same solenoid and lever that operates the fuel rack? Here is a picture of the setup I have seen on 5 or 6 CS engines.

Aberdonion:
I am a regular reader of this site but have only contributed once before. I grew up in Scotland without electricity until I was twelve then my dad installed a 5/1 SOM until we connected to the grid eight years later (1966).
I imported a 6/1 SOM from England a couple of years ago and intend to go off grid. I installed solar panels last year which are working fine but I am tied to the grid for three years having accepted an installation grant. I am working slowly on getting the engine to work then I will focus on the electrical side.

In answer to the question at hand the valve decompresion actuator is to stop the engine and close the fuel rack at the same time. On a manual start, one waits until some speed is worked up before releasing the valve decompression. On a battery start it has compression right away. - An Alberta Boy

BruceM:
Thanks for the straight scoop, Alberdonion!
Interesting that Lister felt the rack was insufficient safety for shut down. Or perhaps early on there was doubt about the starter motor torque but lather they kept the valve lifter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version