Author Topic: Low oil temperature  (Read 4755 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Low oil temperature
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
38AC's balancing method is here  https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6158.0   
Unfortunately, the photos and much of the content is no longer available there.
 I have no idea if it is available elsewhere. Wish I knew, as it was accurate and fairly easy to do.
Maybe, that most effective method will get re-posted and put into the WOK.
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:55 PM »
Thanks Hugh, That is helpful. I couldn't get to it using the search function.
38AC's balancing method is here  https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6158.0   
Unfortunately, the photos and much of the content is no longer available there.
 I have no idea if it is available elsewhere. Wish I knew, as it was accurate and fairly easy to do.
Maybe, that most effective method will get re-posted and put into the WOK.
Cheers
Hugh

Thanks for the cheerful response. Sorry I disturbed your quiet time.
You can "search" for it the same way I would!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 10:42:59 PM by dkmc »
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
Would 130F be enough assuming a long run time to get water out? Seems pretty cold if your just going to run for an hour or two but it could be fine if your going 8 hours. Perhaps and oil cooler/heater attached to the radiator?? There is allot of surface area on these blocks for only a few HP, I'm not surprised to see it so cold, even at full load.

Perhaps a cellulose (toilet paper/packing) depth filter to get the moisture out is needed? I was going to run one anyways.

Anyone seeing water in their oil?

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 08:13:17 PM »
Would 130F be enough assuming a long run time to get water out? Seems pretty cold if your just going to run for an hour or two but it could be fine if your going 8 hours. Perhaps and oil cooler/heater attached to the radiator?? There is allot of surface area on these blocks for only a few HP, I'm not surprised to see it so cold, even at full load.

Perhaps a cellulose (toilet paper/packing) depth filter to get the moisture out is needed? I was going to run one anyways.

Anyone seeing water in their oil?

I was just thinking, how about insulating the block to get temps up?

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
FWIW  I reckon don't worry about the oil temp.  The engine is designed to run like that.  If it bothers you - just change the oil more often.  Those old English engineers knew what they were doing and that these old girls are still going 80 years later bears that out.  Just my $0,02

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 05:47:07 PM »
FWIW  I reckon don't worry about the oil temp.  The engine is designed to run like that.  If it bothers you - just change the oil more often.  Those old English engineers knew what they were doing and that these old girls are still going 80 years later bears that out.  Just my $0,02

I have had really good luck getting dissolved (cloudy, not emulsified) water out of oil using depth filters. I gravity filter milky water soaked vacuum pump oil with toilpaper packed pvc pipe all the time. Comes out nice and clear.

I haven't tried motor oil yet, usually it gets emulsified pretty quickly. Anyone know how to easily clean emulsified oil I would love to know.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »
> Anyone know how to easily clean emulsified oil I would love to know.

I'd think heating it up to 230F would do the trick without harming the oil much.   Don't know if that would get any antifreeze out of it though, or what that does in the oil.

Or try the redneck version,   Add a bunch of water and mix it up, and drain the water off.    Works for gasoline.

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »
> Anyone know how to easily clean emulsified oil I would love to know.

I'd think heating it up to 230F would do the trick without harming the oil much.   Don't know if that would get any antifreeze out of it though, or what that does in the oil.

Or try the redneck version,   Add a bunch of water and mix it up, and drain the water off.    Works for gasoline.

Reminds about a time I had some mayonnaise get frozen. After it thawed the oil separated out. I'm not sure how many freeze cycles since it was in storage but I'm going to try freezing some vac pump oil I have settling out in a jar. I have a custom built freeze dryer and I go through allot of pump oil.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 07:23:18 AM »
i had thought a vacuum distiller, but had concerns about oil possibly boiling off too,  and changing the additive mix