Puppeteer

Author Topic: Does anyone no how to remove the old end cover oil seal to replace it? listerst1  (Read 1875 times)

nedlee1992

• View Profile
Does anyone no how to remove the old end cover oil seals to replace it? on a lister st1, I cant figure out how to remove it and don't want to crack the end cover haha
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:43:05 AM by nedlee1992 »

cobbadog

• View Profile
If you can post a clear picture I could answer your question as I have not been down in this area on mine as yet. Some oil seals you can pick out from the outside and others have to be pushed out from the inside. If there is a lip of the alloy cover in front of the seal then it is out from the inside but a pic helps a lot.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

mikenash

• View Profile
If it is a conventional lip seal and comes out "outwards" - one accepted practice is to drill a couple of small holes (maybe 2mm?) at top and bottom, or at each side - wherever access allows - and screw a pair of short TEK screws into the holes so the heads are maybe 8mm out from the surface of the seal.  Then use a baby pry bar or perhaps a claw hammer, or vice grips and a big screwdriver as a lever - and pull them out.  Have a google - there will be videos explaining this for sure.  Cheers

nedlee1992

• View Profile
damaged seal

nedlee1992

• View Profile
cheers fellas, I've looked in the manual and cant find anything on how to remove it either

cobbadog

• View Profile
Thanks for the very clear pic of the seal. With this type you can easily and safely lever it out using a screw driver. Clean up the recess for the new seal and prep it using some carby cleaner before installing the new seal.
Some new seals come with a fine layer around the outside to act as a sealant there to so you can if you like put the smallest amount of sealant around that area if you want. Before installing the front cover carefully inspect the condition of the crankshaft where the seal is to run. It should be nice and smooth with no ridges or grooves or the new seal wont last long and another leak will start.
If the shaft has ridges and grooves there is an easy fix, use a "speedi-sleeve" or similar named product. Available at the bearing shop where you bought your new seal from and using the seal number they can identify the od of the shaft and supply a sleeve to suit. I can't begin to guess how many of these I have bought and used over time and depending on size mine have been around AU$40.00 each but certainly cheaper than having to remove tractor rear ends and reduction housing to fix something you thought you had already fixed.
When assembling the front cover use a general amount of oil around the new seal or an assembly lube if you have any.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

nedlee1992

• View Profile
thanks cobbadog ur a legend