Puppeteer

Author Topic: Removing the camshaft CS6  (Read 2287 times)

Owenga

• View Profile
Removing the camshaft CS6
« on: November 11, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
I have been applying penetrant to the govenor and trying to move it on the cam with a hammer and punch, I am not making progress and I’m concerned that I will damage the governor... so I have decided to remove the cam... Question...... what holds it in ? I have removed the pushrods and raised the lifters out of the way, there is obviously a retainer or something holding it in...

Thanks Owenga....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:36:59 PM by Owenga »

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Removing the camshaft CS6
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »
On the side opposite of the fuel pump there is a cover. If you remove that cover there is a collar and pin in the end of the cam.

Owenga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
I’ve got the cam out ok, the spool that slides on the cam is seized solid and worn, I’m going to remove the fuel pump lobe and the spool.. I will machine up a new spool out of mild steel, it’s not a component that is under much load, I’ll check the cam shaft for straight whilst it’s in the lathe...

Owenga....

Owenga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 01:25:11 AM »
I’m hoping someone can help with removing the fuel lobe pin I know it’s tapered and I tried punching it out from what appears to be the thin end and had no joy. I can drill it then punch the remenent but that is a last resort.... Any suggestions

Owenga...

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »
Had I noticed your problem before you tried to remove it I could have offered good advise,, sorry.  The way to remove the taper pins is first be certain you know which end is the small end and solid support is needed under the lobe. With all that accomplished and drift in hand you give the pin a good hard whack to remove it. The common mistake are many light hits or flimsy support which serves to swell both the end of the pin and indeed in the bore making removal more difficult.  That being said not all is lost. Drilling, unless preformed in a precise manner is the last resort but a heating the lobe will almost always allow even a swelled pin to be punched out.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Owenga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:25:05 PM »
Thanks..
I did support the shaft and hit the pin with a decent hammer , it’s really stubborn, I have sanded the ends down to remove burring, now I will heat it and hopefully punch it out....
Where can I get replacement pins from, and do you know the degree of taper (I might need to make them ) .... ?

Owenga. ( it’s a bay on Chatham island where I live )........

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 12:09:57 AM »
Those are a #6 taper pin.  In the states I buy them from McMasrter Carr

Edit,
I am pretty sure they are #6 but don't rush to buy until I double check that
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:13:05 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 04:25:21 AM »
You are correct 38ac, they are #6 pins.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 05:07:55 AM »
Owenga we're almost neigbours.  Do you know about the Lister Spares chap in Oz?  Just google oldtimer engines.  Very helpful chap.  Never a problem posting stuff to NZ for me.  I've got the bottom end of an old 3/1 in the yard - been sitting for a while so might be rusted solid - but if you get stuck I could see if the cam would come out?  Cheers