Puppeteer

Author Topic: New acquisition  (Read 1654 times)

greg@dekeyzerlaw.com

• View Profile
New acquisition
« on: November 09, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »
First, thanks for letting me join.  I delayed joining until the engine was in my shop.  It is now, so here goes:

I live in the absolute bottom of Louisiana, (halfway across).  We've had three hurricanes and two tropical storms this year.  By some miracle, lights only went out for one of them.  At that point the Generac whole house unit at my parents failed to start, (bad battery, then regulator).  One gas generator crapped out after 3 hours and the other refused to start.  Got power back after two days, not bad.

I'd investigated Listeroid generators 5-6 years ago but dropped the idea due to the EPA ban.  (I am going somewhere with this, I promise!)

A few days ago a friend of mine purchased an Atlas lathe from an oilfield company.  At the time he was told that one of the employees had a Listeroid generator for sale.  (See, I told you the story was going somewhere!)

As you probably gathered from the first two sentences of this post I am fed up with power generation that involves a battery, electronics board or a carburetor or a wire anywhere on the engine.  I hadn't thought of the Listeroid until my friend mentioned it.  My ears perked up when I heard about the Listeroid and to keep this under 10K words I'll simply say I brought it home yesterday.

It's a 6/1, (I think, although the tag on the engine says 7Kw) and has a 5 Kw generator.  Not a whole house unit by any means but enough to power LED lights, fridge and freezer and I suspect a window unit.  Enough for me.  The man who assembled the unit was a perfectionist and did a wonderful job.  The hour meter says 26 hrs running time.   

Overall, the engine is in great shape but could use a paint job.  Rust on the head from a water leak it seems. 

My questions for the group are:

What parts are most likely to cause a problem for which I should have spares, and

What is/are the best source(s) for the parts?

Any good books available?

Any other comments would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg

Gregory D.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: New acquisition
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 12:03:50 AM »
First off it cannot be a 6\1and 7KW as that is a little  over 9HP.  Bore  sizes vary in the higher HP versions as does the fuel pump , valve sizes , and some are direct  injection. IF the  engine isnt full of sand and was put together correctly BIG IFS, then few spare hard parts  are needed for  several  thousand  hours.  You need to figure out what you have.  You do need fuel filter elements and if you want things like rings,  bearings,  gaskets etc all that is in stock at my shop for most sizes.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

greg@dekeyzerlaw.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 02:50:31 AM »
Thanks for the response.  Gave the engine a more thorough look over this pm.  Tag says 10 brake hp, 7 plus kw. Generator is a 5 kw, seems it could be upsized to 7.5 kw based on the tag rating but I’m not fiddling with that.   Engine is a Vidhata from 2004.  The guy that put it together was an engineer who kept meticulous records.  No guarantee to be sure but it suggests he did it right.  I am going to pull the head and check cylinder, etc when I clean and paint.  Do you have a website?  PS- watched several of your videos before I bought engine 👍 Thanks again, Greg
Gregory D.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
Hi again, I run a very low profile operation. My email is on here or PM for phone number. The 10HP versions came in at least two bore sizes. 120MM and 127MM Head gaskets for all bore sizes are in stock, rings for most bore sizes in stock. The common valves are in stock as are all bearings, seals etc along with many major pieces, castings etc. Your stocking needs will vary with planned hours. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

greg@dekeyzerlaw.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
Thanks!  I plan to play with it this weekend, should have a better idea after that.  Regards, Greg
Gregory D.