Puppeteer

Author Topic: New imported engine??  (Read 2214 times)

dkmc

• View Profile
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: New imported engine??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 02:51:02 PM »
They were. Judging by the description of Hit and Miss either the importer wasn't completely honest with customs or it just slipped through.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
The word Diesel specifically seems to be a very "dirty" word when it comes to importing into the US. On multiple occasions on Ebay I have found and purchased OEM spare parts for my small flock of Listers only to have them hung up and seized by the 3rd party processor that manages the global shipping program for Ebay. Every time it has been because they are listed as diesel parts. Luckily Ebay's policy when that happens is that the seller gets to keep the money and I get a refund as well. I assume they just auction the stuff they seize locally.

Just like importing an engine as an "air compressor" or partially disassembled as "machine parts" one could probably try the whole "hit and miss" description but it would be a roll of the dice. In my experience Customs is very knowledgeable when it comes to engines and equipment. I agree he got very lucky. Then again depending on the description used to import it there could be a case for fraud. Would CBP or EPA come after one person for one engine? Who knows, stranger things have happened.

By the looks of it that is not the best quality engine. For the price, finding an original Dursley made engine that is completely legal to import would seem a better option to me.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 05:43:54 PM »
FWIW there are 3/1s for sale here quite often - plus the odd 6/1 from time to time

For example:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1528801347310136

https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/engines-motors/diesel/listing-2849252389.htm?rsqid=f0929d9a0eca4b5894d871b65e3436af-001

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2844592528

I wouldn't like to speculate on the do-ability of exporting/shipping/importing . . . . but

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 02:15:53 AM »

So I sent the seller a message:
How are you able to import this unit since import of these engines was banned by the EPA in 2010?

His reply:
I let my attorney and custom broker handle the details, I PAY THE BILLS. Not for the faint at hart. I had one go south 2 weeks back and it cost me 3900 to get out of it and i lost the engine on top of it. It is always a gamble.

WOWZERS!  :o
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 06:23:26 AM »
Not for the faint of heart or shallow of pocket.  No

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 07:35:04 AM »
He got the not for the faint of heart part right. :o That's ugly! If I got burnt for $3900 and still lost the engine I don't think I would try any more.

Conversely, every original Lister CS was manufactured before emissions requirements in the US and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM NO MATTER WHERE IT IS IN THE WORLD is completely legal and get this DUTY FREE to import into the US. It is just a matter of finding someone willing to palletize it and drop it off at a shipping hub and of course you pay the fees. I have yet to get one into the US for less than $1500 plus whatever I paid for the engine. But, I would much rather spend roughly what an Indian clone goes for to get original English iron that may need some TLC than roll the dice on an engine that was made in a back lot in Rajkot.