Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister 6HP CS in Cornwall;  (Read 2844 times)

Swarf

• View Profile
Lister 6HP CS in Cornwall;
« on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:25 AM »
I have a six horsepower Lister CS that I found outside. I suppose you could call it a field find.
 I have one myself, a Lister 8-1 S-O-M.  and would like to pass this one on to anyone prepared for some considerable work and expense.
It has been in my shed for 16 years. There are parts missing and it needs lots more replacing.
The photo shows that. If you are interested please P.M. me for more details. Chris.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister 6HP CS in Cornwall;
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
Worth a lot more here in the states but that large pond between us and crooks at our ports makes it an expensive engine by the time it gets in ones hands here.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Swarf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 04:54:41 PM »
Hi, 38 AC..... Its good to get a reply from Ohio.
 Yes, I see your point but I seem to remember there are some followers of the site here in the UK also.
I haven't been on this site for 7 years now.
I think even if you lived 'down the road' and you did see the engine, you would leave it where it is,
It would need, new liner and block and piston and rings (because it looks like someone has tried to hone the 'Listard' liner.)
 Also valves and all the external governing gear/rods, levers, springs etc.
Also replacement main and big end bearings and perhaps shaft regrind. Also manifold pipes etc.
Chris.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi, 38 AC..... Its good to get a reply from Ohio.
 Yes, I see your point but I seem to remember there are some followers of the site here in the UK also.
I haven't been on this site for 7 years now.
I think even if you lived 'down the road' and you did see the engine, you would leave it where it is,
It would need, new liner and block and piston and rings (because it looks like someone has tried to hone the 'Listard' liner.)
 Also valves and all the external governing gear/rods, levers, springs etc.
Also replacement main and big end bearings and perhaps shaft regrind. Also manifold pipes etc.
Chris.

Chuck it on eBay as "untested" :D  Is it seized? No good for me, unfortunately, I just don't have the spare floor space for it, nor the time to do it justice.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
Chris, I didn't mean to imply that your advertisement is on the wrong forum, there are many people on here from your part of the world. I just wish that I could get thise engines here economically as I could move a bunch of them .
good luck with it,

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 01:15:39 PM »

I have genuine NOS Coventry piston company pistons for that engine upto +0.060" oversize, I am UK based.

PM me if interested.

Swarf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:34:26 PM »
As you say you are a collector, I thought you may like to know how I got the SoM.
I bought it from a farm that had no grid supply until about 1990.and when I started to rebuild it I found that I needed far more parts than anticipated.
I looked around locally and found someone who had put together a bunch of generators on the St Marys and the off islands of the Isles of Scilly in 1985ish when the islands had a cable laid the 21 miles from the mainland. These engines were brought over as a special shipment on the Scisolian.
I found that shipper and his haul of loot in a big shed that he would not even let me peek into. He asked me what I wanted, went in and locked the door. When he emerged with the goods I could see that it was very much a sellers market and I had to pay his prices. Anyway, I rebuilt it all with the help of David Harris who was retired and used to work at Listers, Dursley. He was supplying original manuals and was able to date engines but he has sadly died now.  Chris.