Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ph2 engine smoking  (Read 2365 times)

Joeblogs

• View Profile
Ph2 engine smoking
« on: October 12, 2020, 07:49:36 PM »
Hi new to site just wondering if anyone can pointme in the right direction have a twaites 2 tonne dumper with the air cooled ph2 engine fitted. When running after awhile its starts chucking out loads of smoke out and the only way to stop it is to stall the angine as if it starts running of the engine oil like when turbos fail i am thinking oil is building up in the valve housings and the guides are worn creating a feed point of oil to the engine anyone think i am on the righttrack before i start dismantling or is there another track i should be going down.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
Re: Ph2 engine smoking
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »
Welcome to the LEF.

You could start by taking off the inlet manifold, and looking down the inlet ports to see if oil is present. This is a possible cause of your problem, but I am skeptical as the PH engine has an internal breather pipe from the inlet port (which sucks oil mist directly into the inlet port, hence preventing oil been sucked down the inlet guide, you will see what I mean if you take off one of the rocker covers)

However, it is more likely to be oil control ring wear or if the oil control rings have stuck in the grooves. Might be time to go for a top end overhaul? as parts are still easy to find to find for the PH.

If you prefer genuine parts google the Jim Perkins and he can supply you with genuine OEM parts.

Joeblogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:36:50 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply just to be sure are you talking about the piston rings cheers

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply just to be sure are you talking about the piston rings cheers

He is: There's usually 2 or 3 rings on a piston. The top ring (or top two) are compression rings, designed to keep the compression & combustion pressure in the top half of the cylinder; the bottom ring is an oil control ring, which is responsible for the scrape-on-scrape-off of oil on the cylinder bore. If this is not "scrape-off"ing properly, then as the piston descends on the power stroke, it'll burn the oil that was left on the cylinder wall as well, resulting in much smoke (usually blue). However, I'm not convinced it'd leave enough oil, by itself, to cause the engine to be unstoppable by normal means (fuel rack). So I suspect you're ingesting oil from somewhere else too.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
I'm not convinced it'd leave enough oil, by itself, to cause the engine to be unstoppable by normal means (fuel rack). So I suspect you're ingesting oil from somewhere else too.

Other than an oil bath air filter [Dumper truck applications usually have paper element air filters] that has been overfilled, I cant see where else it could come from, unless it has a lot of piston blow by and it is running on the oil fumes been sucked back into the engine via the internal breather tubes (in which case it would also be a bad starter as well)

I have seen this happen on a Citroen BX 19RD (I was not the driver) and it happened after a long motorway run, just as we were coming up to the slip road, the driver eased off the throttle, and it just kept on going. Scary stuff, and as the OP stated, the only way to stop the engine was to stall it.