Alternative fuels > Waste Motor Oil

Mk3 burner prototype running clean and pretty well

<< < (3/3)

38ac:
The waste oil furnace manufacturers use many types of gadgets to compensate for variances in the viscosity of the fuel oils, they work pretty good as long as the fuel has some consistency. But just like a home made drip feed if the fuel went from say 10W hydraulic oil to 15W 40 diesel oil with some 80W 140 mixed in the result is under fire or over fire. The Mennonite fixed this issue via a positive displacement pump that is driven by a slow speed gear motor. I can burn anything for. #2 diesel to 50/50 gear oil and motor oil with no adjustments. Thinking that a draft tube design would reap same benefit?
You can check out the metering pump here
http://www.centralohioheaters.com/Parts.html

mikenash:
Hi yes. Thanks for the link

We’re on the same page with that stuff really. I had thought of a heavy bronze block with a drilling & an element to control temp and a “Dositron” type peristaltic pump . . .

Where I’m at at the moment is the burner is in my shed at a site some 400Ks from home & I’m only there occasional weekends & holidays, and the homebuilt solar is erratic - so I don’t want to build anything needing external electrical input at the moment - perhaps later

But what I also have is several tonnes of a completely consistent oil product of identical viscosity & makeup - a by-product of my work - so that may give me a head-start on metering?  With luck

It also seemed to me that if I could run a burner as an add-on to the door of my wood-stove - then if there’s s carbon accumulation in the firebox & flue - a good firewood burn might clean it out?  Although that might be wishful thinking

I guess what it boils down to is that I’m 63 and relatively broke - so I’m looking for a solution to keep my shed warm in coming winters using the resources I have such as that waste oil & my current access to a basic workshop and my own very basic engineering skills

I guess we’ll see

Thanks for the advice - appreciated

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version