Author Topic: Camshaft and Crankshaft Endplay  (Read 1636 times)

Dave

• View Profile
Camshaft and Crankshaft Endplay
« on: October 08, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
Finally reassembling my 24/2 Powerline Listeroid after several years of scraping, gouging, needling and power washing sand and gook out of every nook and cranny.
Can't seem to locate torque and end play tolerances for the engine, particularly for the cam and crankshaft. Does anybody have a source for these specifications?
Much Appreciated.

Dave

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Camshaft and Crankshaft Endplay
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »
To answer the crankshaft question it must be known if the outside mains are bushing type as per OEM Lister or tapered rollers as per India modification? I have never seen a tapered roller equipped twin but that does not mean they dont
exist. Camshaft end play is not specified in the technical information, neither are torque values.  There should be at least . 010 end play and if its not over .030 I do not do anything with it. If shims are needed or desired they go inside the block. I use standard Whitworth torque tables for the important fasteners orher than the rod cap.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:29:40 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 10:38:17 PM »
Once again, 38AC provides the voice of expertise, in his simple, useful answer.  (Glad you're back!)
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/whitworth-bolt-torque-d_2070.html

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
WOW ! 38AC !
Welcome back Butch!!!!!!
I was just posting the following when you post appeared.

Here's a quote from Quinn......a former poster here
"The specification for the TRBs calls for 0.005” - 0.010” end play in the crankshaft.  Anyone who has replaced front wheel bearings in a car knows how to set them up.  You tighten the keeper nut until there is no wobble in the wheel, then continue tightening until you can detect a little drag, then loosen a bit, then tighten again until you feel drag, then loosen . . . then lock it down when it feels just right.  However adjustment  on these engines is effected by the number of paper shims that are placed between the crankcase and the TRB housing flanges."
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
Thank you much for the specifications. It will be helpful as we put this back together. I have Tapered Roller Bearings in this Powerline 24/2.

The reference to the Whitworth Torque Tables was most appreciated. Didn't know something like this existed. Very helpful.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
OK, Follow as per Hugh's post. I would only add that it is imperative that thrust is not placed upon the center main. Personally  I aim for zero end play on TRB engines but I would not argue with 010 end play, what is most important is that you do NOT have any preload.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel