How to / DIY > Engines

SL1 stalling warm

(1/7) > >>

Passenger:
Hello!

I have a mysterious problem with my engine. It runs perfectly for about 15-20 min and shuts down after that. It wont start after that, before cooling down.

Tank is up high, and fuel seems to be running well after disconnecting lines. 

I've replaced all fuel line seals and made sure that there are no air leaks.

I've also replaced fuel pump and injector unit with new ones.

What am I missing here? Blown head gasket? Cracked cylinder or head? Are these common?

Fuel injection timing?

My headache isn't going away before I have my Lister running again!

So please, any help is wellcome!

-JP

AdeV:
Hi JP,

Some questions:

Is it easy to turn over when it's hot? Easier than when it's cold? Or the other way around - really stiff to turn when hot?
Does it smoke at any time when running (and if so, what colour)? Is it smoking when it's stalling out?
Does it gradually slow down and stop, or does it just quit all of a sudden?
If you try to start it when hot, what does it sound like? Wheezy or normal? Do you get any white smoke?

I'm sure others will chime in with questions & suggestions that I haven't thought of.

cobbadog:
All very good and important questions there AdeV.
Another remote but possible issue is fuel vaporisation if a fuel line is running close to a high heat source.

Passenger:
Hi guys!

Thanks for your responses.  :)

--- Quote from: AdeV on September 29, 2020, 12:03:18 PM ---Hi JP,

Some questions:

Is it easy to turn over when it's hot? Easier than when it's cold? Or the other way around - really stiff to turn when hot?
Does it smoke at any time when running (and if so, what colour)? Is it smoking when it's stalling out?
Does it gradually slow down and stop, or does it just quit all of a sudden?
If you try to start it when hot, what does it sound like? Wheezy or normal? Do you get any white smoke?

I'm sure others will chime in with questions & suggestions that I haven't thought of.

--- End quote ---

It doesn't seem to affect engine turning noticeably whether engine is cold or hot.

There is some white/light grey smoke, which seems to be increasing somewhat at the end.

Stalling is not very sudden. It fades away within few seconds. No misfiring, rough idle or coughing. Engine just quiet down, maybe within 5 to 10 seconds. Until that it seems to run normal to me.

Is it possible to attach a video clip here?

Thanks again!

cobbadog:
Yes you can attach a video but when I do it I list the video on say YouTube then post the link here. This is a backward way of doing things but it works for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version