Author Topic: HR4 Year and Filters  (Read 2117 times)

dpehrson

• View Profile
HR4 Year and Filters
« on: September 02, 2020, 05:58:55 AM »
Greetings!

Thank you kindly for allowing me to become a member of your Lister group.

I have owned this stationary HR4 for approximately one year now and it's time that I learned more about it.

To start, the model number is: 1210HR4A28, rated at HP: 59. Air cooled and propelling a 16" diameter centrifugal water irrigation pump. It starts and runs just fine, after saving it from a salvage yard in line to be crushed for scrap metal. I bought it by weight and I  think it cost me about $125. It is mounted on a wheeled frame and tows nicely behind my truck.

I would like to know the manufacture year or age of this unit?

Additionally, can someone give me a lead on the part number for a replacement oil filter and fuel filter that are available from a US retail store like NAPA. If not, a referral in the UK will be appreciated.

Thank You, David Pehrson
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:27:32 AM by dpehrson »

dpehrson

• View Profile
Re: HR4 Year and Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 06:04:55 AM »
Added Pics1...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:08:23 AM by dpehrson »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:13:36 AM »
G'Day David and welcome to this great Forum.
What a great find and it actually runs, you won the lottery fella. Sounds like it is now up for a good service so this is what I did to find replacement filters.
Take note of the engine make and model and serial number/s if any.
Take the filters off and measure them by the OD, ID and length and write a description of where that filter came from, fuel, oil, air.
Then I rang my local supplier of filters and oils, and after a brief discussion I emailed him all the specs. The next day he had everything worked out and cross referenced for the engines I have and the tractors and truck.
Sometimes these suppliers have the information at hand, it is just sometimes if you have a counter jumper that has no interest he wont help.
Someone here will help you date your engine as there is 2 ways of dating Listers and I am not familiar enough with how it works. Maybe try a search on this Forum for engine dating.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 07:38:02 AM »
Hi dpehrson, welcome to the forum.  If my memory serves me correctly your engine is : unit 1210 HR4 anti clockwise made in 1978

For parts in the USA you should contact Gary at Diesel Electric Services or Central Maine Diesel. Here is a link to the UK stationary engine parts website: https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/Lister-HA-HB-HL-HR-and-HW-Engine-Spares/

Good hunting,

Bob

dpehrson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Thank you Cobbadog and ajaffa1 for your excellent and informative replies, much appreciated.

Is there a particular oil type and grade that the manufacturer recommends for all weather?

Thanks, Dave

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 07:17:27 AM »
Climate temps can make a difference. Because I buy it in quantity and use it in our vintage engines and tractors I use a SAE30 mineral oil product by Great Western Oil. I would stay away from the synthetic oils. Others will chime in with their brand and grade they like to use.

dpehrson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 10:11:17 AM »
Update:

As far as decoding the identification plate, I did a lengthy internet search for data and this is what I came up with so far, correct me or add as needed please...

1210HR4A28...

1210: Production Sequence Number
HR: Type engine
4: Cylinders
A: Anti-clockwise rotation
28: Year of production (28+50 = 78 or 1978)

Oil Filters: NAPA 51343, WIX 1343
Fuel Filters: NAPA 3166, WIX 33166

Cobbadog, Thanks for your recommendation. Here is what I found from a PDF manual for the HR Diesel Maintenance per attachment...

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
Good find.