Author Topic: Mad spammer attack  (Read 1908 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mad spammer attack
« on: August 31, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
At the moment, I've got hundreds of spammers trying to register accounts at LEF. Most of these are being caught by the spam trap, but it does mean I'm wading through 100-200 new registrations per day.... so - if you're registering for real, it might take a day or two before you get authorised.

Hopefully normal service will resume fairly soon.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Mad spammer attack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »
Thank you AdeV for all your hard work keeping this forum alive and free from the spammers/hackers and other f*ckwits. I have no idea why they would target this site, it`s not as if our members are particularly wealthy or have secrets that need to be exposed. I guess some folks just can`t help from sticking their noses where they don`t belong.

Thank you again,

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »
Thanks too.

Too bad they're eating up you time.  I'm curious what you do to sort out the spam from the authentic ham or what ever the slang is for valid candidates.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 09:30:45 AM »
Hi Guys, I have to disagree with Glort about doing them grievous bodily harm, I watched a couple of Youtube videos of computer wizards turning the tables on spammers, deleting all their files and destroying their computers, far more satisfying and lasting than just punching them!

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:24:05 PM »
Hi Glort, as tempting as it might be to break all their fingers with a large hammer this will not stop them. They will just apply for and receive some sort of state funded disability pension, along with voice activated computer/telephone technology and carry on where they left off. Only difference is they will now be supported by the state and some people will feel sorry for them.

Public exposure and humiliation are the only deterrents that work. Sadly our ruling classes are too busy trying to cover-up their own indiscretions to worry about spammers.

Bob

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
I'm curious what you do to sort out the spam from the authentic ham or what ever the slang is for valid candidates.

Hi Casey,

It's actually fairly straightforward, most of the time. We've got a mod installed which highlights suspected spammers, by username, e-mail and IP address. Email is the most reliable indicator, and IP address is pretty reliable too. Username less so (as you can see from the attached screenshot).

The recent sudden massive surge in applications are mostly from email addresses with a certain set of patterns; so I can add ban triggers which will automatically reject attempts to register (with an appropriate message). Obviously I can't use that on all of the mail types - we get a lot of spam registrations with gmail.com addresses - but also a lot of valid registrations.... In those cases, I basically rely on the red indicator.

There's a couple of other tricks: One is to look at the username & e-mail address; often they are similar for legit registrations. Or the username is something obviously Lister, engine or possibly occupation related. If it looks like a random collection of characters, or two random words mashed together, that's a warning. If it looks like a name & the mail address looks like a totally different name, that's also a warning - not always accurate though.

Finally, if the e-mail address bounced the "welcome" message for any reason (doesn't exist, has spam controls on it, is full), then the user is rejected. Life's too short to go chasing after people who make it hard to get in touch.

Occasionally - just occasionally - a spammer makes it through all the checks unscathed, and then it's a retrospective ban &  cleanup time :D You've all seen that a couple of times...

Anyway - my train is about to arrive at my destination, so it's time to go....

Cheers,
Ade.

Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
Thanks.

Something like the tell of craigslist scammers.  Ten cents on the dollar and contact information embedded on the photos.

I also like the obituary of the Nigerian Prince that died alone with 25 million dollars in his mattress and an email sent folder with over 4 million invitations for people to help him with his secret fortune.

Aloha
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245