Author Topic: Alternative gasious fuels - good read from Caterpiller.  (Read 64 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Alternative gasious fuels - good read from Caterpiller.
« on: August 01, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Now that my truck has passed its once in a lifetime inspection ( as long as its registered to me ) time for a fuel modification.

Plenty of plans on the net on how to build a gas producer, they all work but I'm not impressed with the makeshit carburation.

I would much prefer using something made by Impco, similar to mixers used for LPG or NG, probably look to the local scrap yards for a used system.

Adding a turbo to the engine would help with horse power.

https://www.ourair.org/wp-content/uploads/catfuelsdoc.pdf

glort

• View Profile
Re: Alternative gasious fuels - good read from Caterpiller.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:07:27 AM »

Producers are a LOT of work to build, difficult and time consuming to get running, Lot of maintence is a gross understatement and unless you have VERY good filtration, will eat up an engine quickly. Not to mention they look like a Frankenstein contraption.

You want free fuel, Swap the engine out for a Diesel and run Veg or used engine oil. Bout 100/th of the work a woodburner is going to be.

Other alternative would be to build a Pyrolysis plant and distil used oil back to something you can use as a motor Fuel.  You can even Shred and Crack old tyres and make useable fuel from them. Man of your talents wouldn't find that too hard.

Lest with making your own fuel you can get in the truck, start it and drive off. You don't have to plan every trip 30 Min before you want to leave and only have it worth while going 50 Mile or more at a time.

Other thing is if you have the space and resources, Build a methane Digester.  You can compress the gas and do the Impco carb and have a turn key Vehicle rather than something you could get a 5 Mile head start on by walking.