Puppeteer

Author Topic: Timing information  (Read 215 times)

Zvh_greatwhite

• View Profile
Timing information
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:48:31 AM »

Hi guys av had a customer come to me with a 2 cylinder lister engine (TW2 model) that wont turn over buy hand ,after a closer look there seems to be sand in the intake so am guessing that there have dragged it along the beach and sand has gone in the intake ,

Wot am intessed  in is how to time the engine so that a can remove the heads , and if a carnt get the time mark to line up because off the sand stopping it can a just put it at top dead centre once heads are remove so that a can set the valve  clearances on refitting heads

Am a complete novice to these engines so any links to timing marks, valve clearances ect to the information would be gratefully appreciated  thanks graham

Not new to spanners just the engines

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Timing information
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
I dont have one but the very best advise I can offer is to find a workshop manual before you start to strip it down. Take way too many pics to use as a referance for re-assembly. I was able to do a simple Google search and found a manual for my engine and it is a freeby. Maybe someone has a thread on this site for manauals so try a search  back on the home page to see what turns up.
You will need your timing marks before you tear it apart as having the piston at TDC may not be combustion stroke. Another suggestion is to remove the air intake and have a look inside the ports for sand and how much. By now it must be dry sand and some high pressure air could remove most if not all of it except if some is inside the cylinder. There is something I would check to find that out and it would be to remove the injector and buy one of those endo-scopes that attach to your mobile phone and have a look inside for any sand. Again another blast with high pressure air might be good enough to get rid of it.
If the engine still turns over and you have blown the sand out then you can change the oil, add fresh fuel, bleed the system out of all the old fuel and try a start. You could even try lifting the rocker covers off to make sure there is no damage to the valves. These are simple enough steps that done require a manual or skill. Again as it sounds as if this is all new to you take a lot of pics.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Zvh_greatwhite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 05:17:51 AM »
A have removed the heads and all is good in side no damage but plenty off sand removed , heads replaced and now just need to find how to time the valves up , will replace injectors once valve clearances are set . Workshop manual is a great idear will look to see if any one has them thanks

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »
If you have not disturbed anything else, the valves should be very close to spec when you removed the head, and that will change when you re-torque the head after a couple thermal cycles of the engine.  only a slight re-adjustment would be needed

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 03:09:48 PM »
Hi Zvh_greatwhite

Put a pic of the engine here, and also a pic of model plate.

BR
VP
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!

Zvh_greatwhite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 01:47:17 PM »
Sorry for the delay in the picture guys been flat out with other work ,av put it back together so that know parts were lost as the guy wanted to take it and mount it in his boat till a got the information a needed to set up the valve timing
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 01:49:11 PM by Zvh_greatwhite »

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
Hi Zvh_greatwhite

You need valve timing or valve clearence?

need also to synchronize Inj. pumps?

BR
VP

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 12:41:34 PM »
Not sure of why you are looking at timing, I would set the valve clearances, check the fuel system and as suggested double check the injector pumps are balance, fully open and closed at the same time. Bleed the fuel system from the tank to the pumps and try a start up and be ready to shut it down incase something is wrong. Even try turning the engine over with the decompression levers engaged to see that it turns over woth no issues.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »
Hi Zvh_greatwhite

A closer look to that engine, it seems to need some TLC, unless you just want it to run and go till it give last breath!

As far I can see it doesnt got the chain to link raised start handle! Amoung other suprises you will have!

Any help needed we are all here!

BR
VP