Author Topic: HEALTH WARNING -disinfect Old Equipment  (Read 7101 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
HEALTH WARNING -disinfect Old Equipment
« on: August 12, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »
Ok, I have not been posting much, nor have I been on the web site much since last week.  Last Sat night I was working on the SOM and somehow scratched my leg.

But the next day I was shivering and sweeting bullets, and throwing up.  I have been on Intraveinous for the past 4 days with a major viral infection in my leg.  It seems that some tiny microbes hitched a ride overseas on my SOM from the Scotish Highlands.

Needless to say I will be performing a complete Delousing and disinfection of the SOM before continuing to work on it.  Just a warning to those getting equipment from out of state, Province or Country, that disinfection might be the first step before checking for oil or sand.

I should be back to work sometime in the next 5 days.

Andrew
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Doug

Re: HEALTH WARNING -disinfect Old Equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:57:54 PM »
Thats a very good sugestion!

Doug

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 12:42:57 AM »
Hi I hope you feel better soon. I wonder if your engine came out of a barnyard?
Dennis
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 02:29:11 AM by dkwflight »
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 12:54:56 AM »
Andrew,

You have paid too high a price for that engine.  I do hope you recover quickly and without long term complications.  You raise an excellent point seldom thought about in the heat of passion with a new toy.  Even girls should be washed before you play with them if you don't know where they've been.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 01:28:32 AM »
I know a forensic scientist called in to check on very sick illegal immigrants who were found inside a container, can't remember the exact details now, but they eventually tracked it down to a shipment of guano THREE MONTHS earlier. God alone knows what was shipped in that container in the intervening three months. Containers don't get cleaned, nor does cargo, so you're also at the mercy of anything shipped with your consignment.

Only things to eatch on old farm equipment from the UK is anthrax spores and foot and mouth, and they're pretty tightly tagged, eg no cattle or machinery allowed in certain fields etc.

Sorry to hear about your illness andy, glad you're better.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 04:02:34 AM »
well it has been a week of IV and two days of shots in the arse!!  Not a happy experiance

But the leg is getting better and the redness and swelling is down.  Hopefully tomorow I can finish off the cleaning and get her ready for oil and paint.

BTW found an 88 Dodge Caravan Rad that is perfect, should be big enough to cool, its the right configuration. 

Getting new fittings made out of alluminum for cooling and airinatke and exhaust. 

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 11:40:37 AM »
well it has been a week of IV and two days of shots in the arse!!  Not a happy experiance

My old dad used to say you didn't understand a motor until you had hurt each other and learned some respect both ways.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
Well I have more and more guys wanting to see her run.

THe guy at the autowrecker wants to see it run, he spends $300-$400 /mth to remove old oil from his site - new Enviroment rules - and is also pissed at Ontario Hydro.

JohnF I think you will have a new customer soon, looking for a 28/2  LOL

aqmxv

• Duty Now for the Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »
My old dad used to say you didn't understand a motor until you had hurt each other and learned some respect both ways.

This got a laugh out of me.  My standard joke/comment/sad truth is that I know a job will work properly if I've made some sort of blood sacrifice to it.  It doesn't have to be much - a grazed knuckle will do, but the jobs I bleed on always seem to turn out well.

6/1 Metro IDI for home trigen

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »
Not just old equipment.

I brushed the back of my right hand against an aluminum strap that secured my Listeroid in its crate.  During all the rest of the uncrating I had gloves on, and I should have had them on the whole time obviously.  I examined the skin carefully and  was hopeful that it was not broken.  It never bled, so I assumed I was lucky.  However a small pustule developed in the middle of the scratch, and didn't seem to be healing after a couple of days.  Then I was in a friend's kitchen shooting the breeze when out of nowhere the right side of my jaw started hurting like hell.  Uh oh.  I went home a read about tetanus, and realized that I might have to spend weeks in the hospital.  My jaw got worse over the course of the day, so that it felt like I'd  been punched.  It felt swollen and hard to move, but only on the right side.  I don't know if it was my imagination by I think maybe my next started getting stiff too.

I was lucky and after a day the pain started easing, then went away altogether.  I noticed a speck on the pustule on my hand and realized that a sliver of aluminum had lodged in my skin, maybe 1/4" long.  I don't know if it was a mild case of tetanus or not, I'm not sure if there is such a thing.  I burned the wood from the crate and threw away all the strapping and nails, and I believe I'll be wiser about gloves in the future.

Edit: above I meant to say, I don't know if it was my imagination by I think maybe my neck started getting stiff too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:58:46 AM by Procrustes »

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »
That's a good idea.  When working in familiar surroundings, we are constantly exposed to microbes and we develop immunity to most of them at a young age, so they cause us few problems.  However as T19 found out, when you are exposed to "bugs" from somewhere that your immune system may have never "seen" before (excuse the anthropomorphisms), your system can be in for quite a shock.  Traveler's diarrhea is one example that everyone is familiar with.  Get a scratch from a crate or piece of metal shipped from far away and you can end up like T19.  So it's probably a very good idea to be especially careful when opening crates containing green heavy metal from India (or Scotland).

Halfnuts

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:38:36 AM »
I'll drink to that... my next crate better have scotch in it... a nice single malt will do !!!

Cheers

Andrew

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 07:44:29 PM »
Tetanus shots will work within about 2 weeks of an exposure.   I know this beccause I sat on a nail that was stupidly left sticking out of a piece of lumber.  Not a pleasant experience.  Tetanus still has a high fatality rate.  Not to be taken lightly.

Well worth keeping up to date on one's shots - for that at least.

Nitrile or latex gloves are cheap insurance too.