Puppeteer

Author Topic: Wiring a doghouse  (Read 1770 times)

grantyc

• View Profile
Wiring a doghouse
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
Hi all, newbie here both to the forum and to diesel generators!

I've been asked to try getting an old Lister-based Brush generator to run.  It has a control box sort of thing with a cable that goes into the doghouse.  What I'm not sure of is how the two cores from this cable are wired up in there.  As you can see from the photo it seems there are two possible connectors- L1 and L2.  If I'm correct in thinking that's where I need to connect to, does it matter which connector the live and neutral go to, or can it be either?

I hope that makes sense- I've attached pictures of everything I think might be useful.  Thanks in advance for any and all help you might be able to give.

Generator

Doghouse

Doghouse Connectors with L1 & L2 shown

Control Box Thingummy

oldgoat

• View Profile
Re: Wiring a doghouse
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Those are the right terminals but I would put a meter across them when running because you never know how it has been modified. Polarity doesn't matter .

grantyc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »
Thank you for that- so either wire can go into either L1 or L2?  Super.  With a meter, what would I be looking for exactly? 

Apologies for the complete lack of knowledge here!

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 01:37:28 PM »
Either wire in either terminal You should see the name plate voltage either 110v or 230 v across L1-L2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 02:32:26 PM »
Hi Guys, before you do anything else please check the condition of the selenium bridge rectifier and the two wire wound resistors that are hidden behind the plastic air vents on the generator head, I would also recommend replacing the charging rectifier in the dog box.

Bob

grantyc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Is that an issue is I'm going to remove the battery charging cables and just use manual (crank) start?