Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister JP2 starter motor  (Read 2320 times)

jos2000

• View Profile
Lister JP2 starter motor
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:25:43 AM »
Hi there,

I recently bought a boat with a Lister JP2 engine. I thing they put in the wrong starter motor (to weak).
Can anybody tell me what kind of starter motor I should put in?

Thanks,

Jos

dax021

• View Profile
Re: Lister JP2 starter motor
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
Are you sure that the starter is too weak, or is it not that you should be flipping the decompression levers before trying to start?

jos2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »
It (sometimes) starts with the decompresion off, but according to the manual you should be able to start the engine with the decompressioin on.

The starter motor is much newer then the engine, so it is not the orginal.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
As far as I know, and have done in the past, is to fit a Lister HR2/3 starter motors to Lister JP engines, since the gears are the same as the JP on the HR it should fit with out any issues considering the correct rotation is used, the mounting bracket should be the same as well although a spacer ring may be required to set the motor at the correct depth for the ring gear on the flywheel.

One thing to check for that no one has stated yet is are you sure the voltage is correct for the motor, Some motors I have seen fitted to the JP range of engine are 24V rather then 12V since these are big engines the 24v motor requires less amps than a 12v motor and hence means the wire used can be of a smaller gauge then if it were 12v, there should be some numbers stamped on the motor casing, as well as a rotation arrow to denote the rotation that the motor is turning, If you can find them and post them here or even a photo of these numbers and a general photo of the motor I am sure we can tell you what motor you have currently fitted to your JP2.

Some times I have seen a Lister S series motor fitted to the JP range and these can do the job but are under-powered for the task.

the other option of course is to just stick with the hand starting, no more electric starting issues.  ;D ;D ;D

LW

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 02:24:37 PM »
Lister SR2 compressor set with a BroomWade pump via quad belt drive, This unit runs at 1500 rpm and produces somewhere in the region of 100cfm at 350psi

Could you  enlighten me on your setup. I have one SR2 setup as an air compressor, has a  DeVilbiss 445 head and best I can get is 40 CFM at about 100 psi. So I would be very interested in your setup.
My email is : quinnbrian420@gmail.com
Cheers from Canada
Brian

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 06:44:59 AM »
Yes, you need to confirm the starter motors voltage. If it is a 24v and you are feeding it only 12v that will give you the problem you mentioned.
Next is your battery. Have you done or had a 'load test' on the battery? If it has a few bad cells then this too will give you the same problem.
Is the battery fully charged and what volts is it holding? You should have at least 12.8v - 13.5v or there abouts.
Are ALL of your connections clean and making good firm contact at all connections? Sometimes a battery lead may not be carrying the full load due to poor connections at either or both ends.
Earth, earth and earth. One of the biggest problems with electrics is a bad earth. If it doesn't already run your earth from the battery to the engine block or even to the starter bolt if you can and make sure it is clean.
Is the positive lead to the ignition then from your ignition switch to the starter solenoid heavy enough? If this lead is too light in gauge then again a possible issue can be made.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.