Author Topic: Lister SR2M project.  (Read 2983 times)

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try again.
    • View Profile
Lister SR2M project.
« on: July 11, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
Good morning all.
I recently Picked up this battered old SR2 marine unit, its very battered and doesn't run, at all, Since I got it I have started stripping it down and have found the bores and pistons are "20 thou" oversize and the big end shells are "10 thou" oversize.

I suspect that that the crank will need grinding down to "20 thou" undersize and the bores in the cylinders will need taking to "30 thou" oversize.

I have a mechine shop that can do these jobs for me but they have said I would need to supply the pistons for said cylinders, I cant find any good quality pistons out there that are "30 thou" oversize, I have found "40 thou" and "60 thou" oversize pistons but nothing in between, Whats the reason for this or is it just not worth making odd size items for these engines.

As for the rest of the engine, I intend to build it up to an as new standard, obviously in what I understand is Traditional Lister Marine Gray.

For cleaning up all the parts I am going to clean up all the items in my sand blasting cabinet (Powered by my SR2 compressor set)and then mask and spray them in CraftMaster engine paints.

I am very much looking forward to jumping in and getting this project underway and I really hope anyone who reads my posts finds them enjoyable and informative.

LW

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR2M project.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
Now days it is common to only get 20, 40 & 60 thou sizes. I would go straight to the 0.040" and be done with it. If you are working the engine for a living and you service it correctly you will get another 20 years out of it and then you have another 20 thou to go and do it again.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:35 PM »
/\ What he said.

But also if you did decide to go with +0.030"  o/s it is also possible that any wear ridge would not entirely clean up if it has really bad bore wear or pitting, and if you ran the engine with +0.030" pistons in it, who is to say you would ever be able to find a couple of +0.030" sets in the the future if you had to re-ring it as part of a top end rebuild.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
Continuing on with the Lister SR2 yesterday, I have managed to shot blast the air intake manifold, The Oil bath air cleaner, exhaust manifold and have managed to give them all a coat of Gray primer, I am debating on making this a glossy coat or just a bare matt Gray.

Today I be making a start on the cylinder heads and rocker covers, while I wait for the cylinders to come back from the machine shop after taking the option to sleeve the cylinders rather then re-bore them over-size and to fit standard size pistons (Makes them rebuild-able over and over again  ;D )

Thanks for reading.

LW

(Really hope these images show up, Never used embedding before.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:14:19 AM by Lister_Wizard_HA4 »

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
And because the Image embedding didn't work Il just have to upload them as attachments.

LW

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
G'Day LW,
Good decision with going back to standard bore size and for further options way down the track. Nice job cleaning up the parts. Consider no grey primer and using either engine enamel on bare metal or 2 pack paint as the primer / under coat is not heat resistant and will burn off on the engine block and head areas.
As for using a flat, satin or gloss finish this is your choice as it is you project. The only benefit I see in using gloss is it is so very easy to clean up if an oil leak happens. A bit of degreaser and a hose and it is done. Flat finishes hold dirt, dust and oil.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
G'Day LW,
Good decision with going back to standard bore size and for further options way down the track. Nice job cleaning up the parts. Consider no grey primer and using either engine enamel on bare metal or 2 pack paint as the primer / under coat is not heat resistant and will burn off on the engine block and head areas.
As for using a flat, satin or gloss finish this is your choice as it is you project. The only benefit I see in using gloss is it is so very easy to clean up if an oil leak happens. A bit of degreaser and a hose and it is done. Flat finishes hold dirt, dust and oil.
Good evening Cobbadog.
Considering the primer I am using comes from CraftMaster Paints, and it is of the Two-Pac epoxy type it is heat proof and is sold via craft master as engine paints so I am fairly sure that it will survive the conditions this little SR2M will have to operate in.

As for going back to standard size with sleeving the cylinders, it was decided that while going over-size was a possibility it would make better and more sense to go back as it allows the cylinders to be resleeved as many times as needed over the next 50 or so years that this engine will hopefully see.

for cleaning up the parts I am just using a good quality shot blasting cabinet fed via a Lister SR2 compressor set with a BroomWade pump via quad belt drive, This unit runs at 1500 rpm and produces somewhere in the region of 100cfm at 350psi, perfect for shot blasting that needs volume over pressure but also to blast the parts after being cleaned with air to remove the dust before being painted in the CraftMaster primer, dust looks bad in a paint job personally.

Thanks
LW

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 06:35:45 AM »
I was not sure of the brand of the primer and is why I mentioned it. Sounds like your on track though and that is good. I also have a small blasting cabinet and use a couple of different mediums in it as it is easy to empty and change over. I use a Garnet for the heavily rusted metal parts but mostly use glass beads as it is kinder on the finish. To get my air supply I have two compressors plumbed up to the same line that give me what I need.
Your air supply is a lot larger than mine so you won't run out of air anytime soon.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
Evening All.

More progress on the SR2M today.

I have spent most of the day working on the SR2M cylinder head.

The head is in a bad way, I think I will have to machine new rocker bushes for the rockers but until I have those apart I have no idea but there is a lot of play in them so I think they will need new ones, The valves were badly pitted and covered in rust and grime, possibly from being underwater at some point perhaps, We will never know, as for the valve seats these look to be in not so bad condition but I will most likely get some valve seat inserts fitted to the head as I think the current seats have been ground in too far already and there doesn't look like there is much meat left for future valve grinding if it ever required it.

For the shot blasting process today I changed the media from glass beads to Kiln Dried sand, this cuts through rust and thick grime with ease and only costs around £5 per bag when the glass bead costs £15 per bag, well worth not ruining the Glass bead for these parts of the engine.

Night all

LW

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 10:10:31 PM »
More photos from today's Cylinder head work.

LW

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 07:08:34 AM »
Nice job in the cleaning up. Yes the dry sand works well too. As for the valve seats I would usually say yes they are a bit 'sunken' and replacement is needed, but see if someone who knows a lot more than me if they are supposed to be recessed for clearance of the piston. It just looks too neat.
Not sure if a manual would clarify this.
I have just bought some new valves for an engine, non Lister, which are different in the overall length, 180mm or 6". Seats will clean up ok but I am making new valve guides for it.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 08:49:08 AM »
I have Always found that the clean up process is just as or even more important then the reassembly process as the cleaning allows you to see any and all defects in the parts and if they are still serviceable for future use or if they require repair, As for the cylinder heads on this SR I dropped both into the machine shop this morning and they have confirmed they they will be fitting valve seat inserts as there isnt much materiel left for grinding and fitting valve seat inserts will future proof the heads for future work if ever needed.

as for the valve guides, I will be making new guides to suit out of cast iron, the guides are not that worn but they could certenly do with a freshen up and considering I will be fitting new valves as the original ones were badly pitted I can make the guides to suit.

I will post some more progress photos later this evening as I have managed to work out how to embed photos now.

LW
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 08:56:08 AM by Lister_Wizard_HA4 »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
Yes, that is what I am using to make my new guides too, cast iron. When you get your new valves and check the diameter of the stems you might find that the original guides may only need a slight ream. Always hope that this can be the case. If not then you havea plan to go forward.
Cleaning parts up to be spotless is always the best way to go. Makes for easy assembly as well.

Lister_Wizard_HA4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 03:35:59 PM »
Progress has been made today with the cylinder heads for the SR2, I got a surprising phone call from the machine shop, one head was ready and the other one is being done tomorrow , I have been to pick up that one head today and have managed to start the painting process in red craft-master primer and then in the grey primer.

I am now waiting on the new valves, and valve guide materiel to turn up and then I can measure the valves and start to turn the new valve guides on my lathe.

I have also made a start on dissembling the rocker cover for one cylinder and have started shot blasting it, Then the compressor ran out of diesel so off to the garage for 40L diesel for another weeks worth of compressed air.  :P :P ;D

LW

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 12:06:46 PM »
So far, so very good.