Author Topic: Privately Owned Solar Array  (Read 3277 times)

snowman18

• View Profile
Privately Owned Solar Array
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:48 PM »
Located 1.5 miles from my home, 300 solar panel array. Set up as three phase.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:56:58 PM by snowman18 »

snowman18

• View Profile
Re: Privately Owned Solar Array
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 02:59:22 AM »
Glort the solar array is 3 phase, how many kw do you figure this set up is capable of producing during the longer days full of sunshine.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 05:20:28 AM »
Never mind this system is 100kw and its grid tied. Has dirty inverters emitting lots of EMF which is the source of a problem which interrupts our wireless internet service.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:38 PM »

Phases don't influence the output, they just do it that way to stop pushing one phase too high relevant to the others and to avoid pumping too many amps down one line.

Depending on the location of the array, in summer I'd guess 3-500 Kwh a day.

The EMI on inverters here is VERY low by regulations. Many work off US standards so I would be surprised if yours is much different.
I would also assume ripple is pretty low as well.  It would have to be throwing some pretty significant radiation to influence your wireless internet from 1.5  miles away.

How do you know it's this causing the interference problems?

Our ISP has a repeater mounted on the high point and the inverter for the array resides inside the white building.

Internet outages coincide with sunset and sunrise, I suspect it has something to do with the private system being switched onto or being disconnected from the grid.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
... Has dirty inverters emitting lots of EMF which is the source of a problem .......

EMF ?     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force

what about EMI ( electro magnetic interference )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Thanks for the correction, yes should have said EMI.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »
Today sunrise 5:44 am ↑ (53°) with this mornings internet interruption at 7:43:28 a.m.

Looks like the solar array storage battery's need recharging before dumping back to the grid, in the evening those storage battery's are depleted within minutes and the evening internet interruption coincides with sunset.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
The solar array uses Switchgear, inside there's a mechanically ( motorized ) operated load break interrupter.

The interrupter is much to slow in terms of the electronic needs for the radio repeater, any loss in power the system has to reboot.

The reboot at the bin farm lasts about 20 minutes, once service is restore to the repeater radio and the signal once again beamed into our village the routers supplied by the service provider take another 20 minutes to establish an IP address.

Dynamically assigned IP address versus static.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »
Got it figured, but having trouble convincing the IT people who maintain our internet service.

The ISP installed electronic gear inside the electrical utility building that services the bin yard when switchgear for the solar changeovers take place it creates a ripple which in turn creates an electrical magnetic storm inside the building.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 09:47:57 PM »
Rep from the vendor that supplied the equipment don't want to talk about it unless he's on the $$$ clock.

Every so often I pick another electricians brain, John tell me this solar system at 600 volts is a low voltage system - could have fooled me.

Anyhow John figures the system is load unbalanced, but but the system at the moment is only feeding back to the grid. Say one third of the panels were faulty in one of the three rows which all feed into this transformer.