Author Topic: Generator alternator wiring  (Read 8508 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Generator alternator wiring
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »
Ade, imho this is a valuable thread with wide-ish potential application.  Maybe it's a WOK candidate?  Cheers

If we (well, Theo) ever gets the damn thing working, then definitely!

Theo - did we definitely establish whether this is AC or DC power you're seeing? Your auto-detecting meter should tell you, I'd think?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 08:05:39 PM »
Ade, imho this is a valuable thread with wide-ish potential application.  Maybe it's a WOK candidate?  Cheers

If we (well, Theo) ever gets the damn thing working, then definitely!

Theo - did we definitely establish whether this is AC or DC power you're seeing? Your auto-detecting meter should tell you, I'd think?

Hi Ade
I was getting 228 AC at one stage then I fckued it up!

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »
hey Theo:

No you don't need to excite the gen it has already shown that it makes voltage. You probably pulled off the DC rectifier or the power leads, or both. Three wires left on out of nine ??

Your meter probably has a cont or contentuenty function. Using that function you can trace wires by putting one meter lead on one end of a wire and the other meter lead on the other end of the wire and your meter should hopefully make a noise of some sort. So try putting a meter lead on, say L1 and see if you get a noise when you put the other meter lead on one of the wires you took off or one of the wire you left on.

Can you send a picture of the front panel showing all the switches and plugins available on your gen???

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
Hi Scott
Thanks for the quick reply. I have added 3 photos one is the front panel one of the extra wires and one of what I think is the problem a rectifier I think. There is no continuity between the main wires and the green or brown wires but there is continuity between the green wires and the brown wires. There are 4 wires coming from the alternator.
Tom

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2020, 05:07:04 PM »
good day Theo: The following is a copy from you earlier posts.

The switch selects either 120 or 240 volts its on the front panel above the sockets however the switch is loose inside, it does nothing.

Looking at the picture of the front panel I do not see a switch above the sockets. But then that area is not entirely clear.

One of your earlier pictures shows a simple toggle switch to the right of the blue plug. It shows 120 volts on one side and 220 volts on the other side. Can you explain that to us?

Yes, the item pictured last is called a full wave bridge. It converts AC voltage to DC voltage. The DC voltage goes to the brushes,which in turn feeds voltage to the field winding's. The field winding's form an electro/magnet. When revolving, the magnet excites the L and the R winding's. Since the L/R winding's have already showed 120 volts each the bridge is not the problem.

The problem will be correctly reinstalling it back into the system. Show us how you plan on doing that.

From your last post: There are 4 wires coming from the alternator. It sounds like you are you referring to the L/R winding's. You have already established the resistance of the two, check them out.

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2020, 09:03:25 PM »
Hi Scotth
The broken switc was indeed to the right of the sockets and is one of the things I removed.
I have no idea how to reinstall the bridge rectifier I thought it was for 12 volt battery charging and I didn't make a note of where the wires went because I didn't think I needed it.
I think it's maybe time to move on from it.
There is 8 volts coming from each of the green wires when earthed and about 2 volts from the brown wires.
Maybe someone knows how to rewire the bridge rectifier?
T

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:22 AM »
HEY THEO

I think it is probable the battery charging circuit would not be a full wave bridge but rather a half wave bridge. However that’s just a guess. Do you see any other bridges?

There is 8 volts coming from each green wire. I assume the generator was running when you got those measurements? When not running do they have continuity with each other?

Lets say we think the two green wires should be the ones that connect to the bridge. What about the other two wires that were on the full wave bridge? Are they shielded spade connectors like the green 8-volt wires? Are there other loose wires that have  the spade type connector ?

The two brown wires seem to have a dedicated plug. Shouldn’t be two difficult to sort out the corresponding half.

Scott

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 08:03:22 AM »
HEY THEO

I think it is probable the battery charging circuit would not be a full wave bridge but rather a half wave bridge. However that’s just a guess. Do you see any other bridges?

There is 8 volts coming from each green wire. I assume the generator was running when you got those measurements? When not running do they have continuity with each other?

Lets say we think the two green wires should be the ones that connect to the bridge. What about the other two wires that were on the full wave bridge? Are they shielded spade connectors like the green 8-volt wires? Are there other loose wires that have  the spade type connector ?

The two brown wires seem to have a dedicated plug. Shouldn’t be two difficult to sort out the corresponding half.

Scott

Hi Scott
The 2 green wires do have continuity when the generator isn't running. Yes the connections were shielded connections. I have a plug thet fits on the brown wire it has 2 red wires coming from it. Should I connect the green to ac and the red to dc and give it a go?
T

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 05:11:40 PM »
Hey Theo:: At this point I don't see where you have much choice but it looks like a safe bet for the green wires to the bridges AC side. The red wire I don't know/think so.

What you are looking for now is a set of wires that have continuity from the brushes and probably have the same type of shielded spade connectors that fit the bridge.

Take a picture of the red wires that show the type of connectors.

What do the connections for the volt meter look like ? What about the connections to the battery charger and the low oil sensor ?

Here is a copy of a portion of one of your past post. I took a load of stuff off it switch volt meter etc hoping to leave just the 3 wires to deal with now theres no power.

Can you give us more detail on what the wires you took off were connected too,you mention a switch? Would that be the brown box with nine connections?