Author Topic: Generator alternator wiring  (Read 8500 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Generator alternator wiring
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »
Is your meter set to AC or DC? Since it's giving negative readings, I'd suspect it's in DC mode. Try in AC mode, and see what you get. If it's a DC generator, I'd expect to see zero volts everywhere, possibly with a flash of "some volts" when you first hook up.

I think we need to make a little table here, as I'm not sure of your readings.... First, please verify (for sure) that you've got AC or DC, then let's see the readings for each cell in this table.

Red Lead -> L1 L2 R1 R2
L1 -- ___v___v___v
L2 ___v -- ___v___v
R1 ___v___v -- ___v
R2 ___v___v___v--
^^ Black Lead ^^

I'd expect some of those readings to be zero, assuming none of the 4 wires are joined.

HTH!
Ade.

PS: To replicate that table, copy the below into your reply, and replace each "___v" with the applicable reading

Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr][td]Red Lead -> [/td] [td]L1 [/td] [td]L2 [/td] [td]R1 [/td] [td]R2 [/td][/tr]
[tr][td] L1 [/td] [td] -- [/td] [td]___v[/td][td]___v[/td][td]___v[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] L2 [/td] [td]___v[/td] [td] -- [/td][td]___v[/td][td]___v[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] R1 [/td] [td]___v[/td] [td]___v[/td][td] -- [/td][td]___v[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] R2 [/td] [td]___v[/td] [td]___v[/td][td]___v[/td][td]--[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] ^^ Black Lead ^^ [/td] [/tr]
[/table]
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:37 PM »
I was using one of those meters that automatically detect the voltage and ac or dc. I changed to an old type meter and the voltage isn't steady L1 R1 is between 5 and 60 volts and R1 and R2 go between 50 and 130 volts. I'm thinking the guy selling it knew it needed more than a switch!

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 05:54:52 PM »
For the life of me, why don't you post some pictures?  This thread is going 2 pages now, and makes no sense at all

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
For the life of me, why don't you post some pictures?  This thread is going 2 pages now, and makes no sense at all
I'm trying to make them smaller

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 06:52:37 PM »
Ok, I use Picasa

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
I'm trying to make them smaller

Faststone Image Resizer is what you want - if you're a Windows user. It's free to download and use, and once you've got used to the interface (not that hard, and it supports drag'n'drop), you'll wonder how you managed without it!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 08:59:32 PM »
here are a few photographs the switch is brown

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 06:25:18 AM »
Ade, imho this is a valuable thread with wide-ish potential application.  Maybe it's a WOK candidate?  Cheers

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 08:15:51 AM »
Does anyone think the AVR on this machine could be failing? Is it worthwhile taking it off and connecting a car battery to the brushes to check for steady voltage?

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 07:40:11 PM »
NO !
 Don't connect a car battery to brushes, unless you want to fry the works.   Hundreds of amps there and if there is a fault, you will melt things.

I use a jump start battery pack AND a brake light bulb.  The bulb limits the amps that can flow thru the system (wires, brushes....) and helps keep the voltage of the output from going sky high 500v instead of the 240v regulated you should have. 

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 08:00:57 PM »
First problem was battery in multi meter was weak so I replaced it. I connected L1 to L2 only a couple of volts but steady. If you look at photo 4 above theres a green and yellow wire on a connection that comes out on the front panel and there's an earth symbol there so I tried the meter black lead to there but nothing power wise. R1 and R2 connected shows 228 volts which would be perfect if it could be used safely. Connecting R1 to L1and L2 shows 115 volts R2 connected to L1 and L2 shows 115 volts on each. There's an overload/trip switch with the blue and white wires from R1 and R2 going to it, I measured the voltage there and again 228 volts.

What next?

thanks

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
I can't believe it took several days before I figured out what the little lightening symbol was flashing on the multimeter for!

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 02:02:45 PM »
I discovered the red wire from L2 was broken near the switch so it's been spliced and here are the results.

L1 and L2 138v

R1 and R2 131v

L1 and R1 105v

L2 and R2 120v

L1 and R2 110v

There's wires for 12 volt charging wires for volt meter and wires for the circuit breakers I'd like to get rid of them at least the 12v stiff and the meter. The 4 wires Black, Blue, Red and White are from the alternator How can I connect them? I'd like the circuit breaker to work if possible. I don't want to die but I'm prepared to sacrifice an old drill to test it.

scott p

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:00 PM »
 Was hoping to get a good picture of the front panel with all the sockets and switches. The leads connected to the L and R block (first picture) seem to be corroded.

Theo Arn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »
I took a load of stuff off it switch volt meter etc hoping to leave just the 3 wires to deal with now theres no power. Reading on the internet seems it needs exciting and I don't know how to excite it apart from taking it for a fast car drive and I dont have a fast car! theres extra 4 thinner wires on the alternator I assume they excite it but its beyond me how it works
I did measure resistance

L1 to ground 3.5,

L2 to ground 1.8,

R1 to ground 5.0

R2 to ground 2.9.

L1 to L2 15

R1 to R2 16

I used this meter its all I have the spare one is useless