Author Topic: What are you guys using for fuel tanks?  (Read 5551 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: What are you guys using for fuel tanks?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 03:14:08 AM »
I guess there is a couple of schools of thought

Some folks on here have beautifully-restored CSs and the like, so the ancillaries - tanks, generators, exhausts - tend to be things of beauty as well

Others, like me, and who often have a bit of "agriculture" in their background, see a fuel tank in utilitarian terms:

Where possible, wall mounting - or mounted on a couple of posts - seems ideal:  There are no vibration issues; the mounting-place can be selected for ease of refilling & maintenance; it's easy to mount a larger, low-tech filter anywhere you like etc etc . . .

I built one recently out of a 40-litre air-compressor tank onto the base of which I welded a 50mm BSP socket so that both the stand and the delivery/water-and-sediment trap/water-drain valve structure are just made from off-the-shelf bits of 50mm galv threaded pipe & fittings.  It has an 80mm filler neck so you can reach inside and scratch around or whatever.  The inside's a bit rusty but being full of diesel, it won't rust any further, and the long, 50mm diameter, sediment-trap will pick up any bits . . .

Look at how crude the open-top original CS "stand" units were

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 10:47:02 PM »
Vegoil tank

Red diesel tank

frogmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 08:08:16 AM »
I use a 60 L drum sitting next to the cooling tower (44 Gal drum)
Engine: CS 20 twin cyl driving 12 kw 230v Gene
On Biodiesel

"Vegan" is an old Aboriginal word, it meant "lousy hunter"

gadget

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 05:47:38 AM »
If your planning on storing fuel in the tank for extended periods, I would avoid metal. I have read that all metals have a catalyst affect to some extent and can increase the rate of fuel deterioration. I would go plastic or make sure there is a coating over the metal. Sorry, I can't find the reference but something to consider....

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 04:12:51 AM »
sounds like bs to me. we got a 1200 gallon steel tank on the backup gen at work they do next to no maintenance on it. it is 50 years old (plant was commissioned in 1968).  I can say in the last 20 years it has not been touched. we don't even add stabilizer to it.  we top it up when it gets down to 600 gallons like once every 8 years.  the inside of your fuel pump is steel, the inside of the injector is steel, the inside of the filter canister is steel, ect ect. plastic sucks.... that ibc tote in the pic is eventually going to crack from the UV rays hitting it. I wouldn't want to dump 250 gallons of $$$$ on the ground and have to clean it up.  just my 2 cents.