Author Topic: Stw3 cooling  (Read 1806 times)

Kahana2

• View Profile
Stw3 cooling
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:01:53 PM »
Hi all I've got a stw3 in NZ which is now post a top end rebuild after drinking seawater running well in a yacht, I've got a few things I was hoping to understand better .

Mine is still set up with raw water cooling but have purchased a heat exchanger and header tank, looking for advice or view of a  similar set up pic to see how its been or should be done.

Thanks great to join too cheers
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:34:02 PM by Kahana2 »

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Stw3 cooling
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum fella.
I understand that this came out of a yacht and was running sea water for cooling, is that right?
I see that in your picture there is a marinised style manifold on the engine now, is this your new cooling system?
What do you want to do with the engine, back into a boat or used on land and at shows or on a property?

I converted a small 3 cylinder Daihatsu engine over to run a Hamilton Jet in a mullet boat. The engine coolant went through a 4" round stainless steel tube and sea water was pumped through the inside of that big tube through some #/*" tubing to cool the engine coolant. The sea water was circulated by the Jet propulsion unit.

If you wish to run this engine on land again then it can be kept cool by running your engine coolant through a radiator, or via a large water tank similar to a 50 litre water tank and allow it to thermo syphon. In this case the bottom of the tank mush be above the engine in height.

hope this helps in some way, if not ask again.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »
Yep, sometimes it is not worth going back in time and memories as they can be destroyed.

Kahana2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:57:09 PM »
I picked up a smaller heat exchanger ( tube style )and top tank that had suited a 60hp diesel earlier its clean and been pressure tested etc. My little STW is still in the yacht still set up as 100% raw water cooled.
no keel cooling required just wondering if a similar set up was in place with another similar set up cheers

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 07:44:50 AM »
It would be interesting to see how the narrow boats are done with the cooling of the Listers in the canals.

Kahana2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:18:28 AM »
anyone know of any suitable belt drive circulation pumps, to pump fresh water through heat exchanges to suit listers ??

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 12:27:59 PM »
Have you considered an electric pump. Far more to choose from and less expensive.