Author Topic: What is this bolt called and where can I find one?  (Read 2512 times)

spif

• View Profile
What is this bolt called and where can I find one?
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

A bolt in the centre of my gearbox / coupling broke but I don't know how to start looking for it.
What are these kinds of bolts called? Does anyone recognise it and know where I can buy a replacement?

Thanks in advance for any help!

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: What is this bolt called and where can I find one?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
Hi mate, I'm not sure what it is called but to help others who may have the answers for you could you post more and as much details on what it is out of. Make and model helps a lot.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

spif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:27:44 PM »
Thanks cobbadog. And yes doh! Should share a bit more about my engine.

I've asked before what engine I have in this thread: https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7503.msg84689#msg84689

And the conclusion was that it's an SR-3 marine engine.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
It looks like a cam follower of some kind.

Could I ask you to make be do a bit of post-processing on that pic? Best thing would be to snip off the edges so just the bolt is there, then re-size down to something managable - 800x600 is best, 1024x768 is also OK. The 4000x3000ish size makes it unviewable (in one lump) on most screens, and especially on my tiddly laptop screen that I'm on just now.

If you're a Linux user, GIMP is the program you need to do the job. For Windows users, you can use plain old Paint to trim the image, then I recommend the Faststone Image Resizer (which is FREE - a quick google should find the download page) to resize the result (you can also use it to resize and rename a series of photos, add watermarks etc. Really good piece of software, and free to boot.

Cheers!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: What is this bolt called and where can I find one? Yes, and No
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:48:04 PM »
Hi Spif

I'm with AdeV, its sure a cam follower, and it will be a 1/2BSF (12,7, not 13mm, unless engine is not english, if metric it will be metric fine).

Find a rezonable machinist to do a new one, its worthable than repair it (it can be repaired for shure, it depends how much importance it got in the mechanism.

Just my 5 cents!

BR
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »
Looking at the state of that bolt/follower - I'd say something let go in that gearbox under full power/rpms. I suspect there's a lot more damage in there to find...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 02:50:13 AM »
Looking at the state of that bolt/follower - I'd say something let go in that gearbox under full power/rpms. I suspect there's a lot more damage in there to find...

Roller for the shift detente that holds the transmission in either forward, neutral or reverse.

spif

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:21:55 AM »
Thank you all for your answers!

That will help narrow down my search.

Surprisingly there wasn’t actually much other damage in the gearbox, so I hope having this part replace will get her clutching nicely again.

I’ll add a picture of the gearbox itself once I’m back at the boat, forgot to take a good shot of the opened gearbox when I was dismantling her.

spif

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:59:24 AM »
Does anybody have tips where I might buy a replacement part such as this?

Interestingly searching for Cam follower (or rolling cam follower) leads me to a lot of different parts resellers but nothing comes close to this part....

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »
Hi Spif

Given that the roller is not a 'high speed' part knocking one up yourself shouldn't be too hard.

Welding a couple of bits of steel out of the come in handy box to the head of a bolt of the relevant size / thread and then fettling it up with the 4 1/2" angle grinder will get you going. it's hard to say from the Photo but you could probably re use the roller and pin.

Just get the correct bolt!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.