Author Topic: Does water flow around 6/1 posts?  (Read 255 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
Does water flow around 6/1 posts?
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »
So, yes. Water flows around the posts... but does it have to? 

As I continue to fight with my 6/1 gasket (yes, I know about taking it to a machinist and getting it flattened), Iím wondering if I could use gasket goop *just* around the posts, which seems to be where my water problem comes from. 

6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

glort

• View Profile
Re: Does water flow around 6/1 posts?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:56:47 AM »

Seems to me if you put it in one spot only you are going to create a high point that will make the rest leak more.

Copper spray is great stuff and gasket sealer is good too when used -PROPERLY-... which many people don't.
I give it a thin smear all over, let it cook off a bit then put the gasket in place. Wait a bit more then tighten it down.

If surfaces are true I have also had no problem using ordinary grease on the gasket., Leave it a bit to swell the paper then apply.

I think the technique is more important than the product being used.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
Mine leaked the same way. The only solution was to modify the sleeve protrusion.
I tried various gaskets and sealers but in the end they are just Band-Aid solutions.
The sleeve protrusion must be minimal. Say 0.003 to 0.005 in.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
to answer your question I don't think water flows around the posts. it just leaks across the heaad gasket and fills up the cavity around the stud. it can't get out the bottom and into the crankcase because of the base gasket so it leaks out of the top around the nut.I went with a copper gasket for the head gasket and homemade Garlock for the base . the coolant leaks out of the top of the stud around the nuts. I had it on and off a few times and it still leaks when it gets cold out. I may try putting a copper washer under the nuts on my head studs.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:42:24 AM »
..... I may try putting a copper washer under the nuts on my head studs. 

That may just hide the problem until the studs rust through