Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Does water flow around 6/1 posts?

(1/2) > >>

tyssniffen:
So, yes. Water flows around the posts... but does it have to? 

As I continue to fight with my 6/1 gasket (yes, I know about taking it to a machinist and getting it flattened), Iím wondering if I could use gasket goop *just* around the posts, which seems to be where my water problem comes from. 

veggie:
Mine leaked the same way. The only solution was to modify the sleeve protrusion.
I tried various gaskets and sealers but in the end they are just Band-Aid solutions.
The sleeve protrusion must be minimal. Say 0.003 to 0.005 in.

gusbratz:
to answer your question I don't think water flows around the posts. it just leaks across the heaad gasket and fills up the cavity around the stud. it can't get out the bottom and into the crankcase because of the base gasket so it leaks out of the top around the nut.I went with a copper gasket for the head gasket and homemade Garlock for the base . the coolant leaks out of the top of the stud around the nuts. I had it on and off a few times and it still leaks when it gets cold out. I may try putting a copper washer under the nuts on my head studs.

mike90045:

--- Quote from: gusbratz on May 20, 2020, 04:21:53 PM ---..... I may try putting a copper washer under the nuts on my head studs. 
--- End quote ---

That may just hide the problem until the studs rust through

vdubnut62:
Well, I had a 1947 John Deere "B" that used lead washers under the head stud nuts to keep water out of the valve cover and thusly the engine oil, and the studs had lasted fifty years at that point with no ill effects.  I did lose a brass pushrod tube that flooded the engine with coolant though. I was also thermosiphon and the coolant requirements were basically just clean water.
Your mileage  may vary.

Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version