Puppeteer

Author Topic: Huge antique engine auction!  (Read 3031 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Huge antique engine auction!
« on: April 27, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Well guys, here is a huge antique engine sale coming up in a little over two weeks. LOTS of stuff

https://www.proxibid.com/Henslin-Auctions-Inc/THE-GOODBURN-COLLECTION-GAS-DIESEL-ENGINES/event-catalog/173713
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

RJ

• View Profile
Re: Huge antique engine auction!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:12:45 PM »
Looks to be a nice JP3 there. Sigh. So far away.  :-\

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
/\ buy it, if only for the electric start and marinisation parts.

They are the rare and hard to find parts.

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »
Jp3 has been on my bucket list for some time. I'd like to restore it with my Son. 

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
Why not go all in, and buy the JP4 as well  ;D

RJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
A JP2 was actually my first choice, but demand for those is always very high and they end up being too pricey. I had the option to buy a JP4 about 6 years ago when I lived up north. That's a big engine, perhaps too big for anything I would ever need. The JP4 can be had for pretty short money in Canada. Lots of them in Quebec anyway. So I settled on the JP3 as a compromise 8)

Still at 2k lbs it's all there.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 02:13:54 AM »
What is parts availability like on the JP type engines?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 06:37:41 AM »
A JP2 was actually my first choice, but demand for those is always very high and they end up being too pricey.

Spot on analysis! In the UK it is the canal boat scene that drives the demand for JP2 engines, and they won't think twice about carving up original JP2 startomatic generating sets, just for the engine.

It is common to see the JP4 engine broke up for spares, particuarly rough examples.

Still at 2k lbs it's all there.

For that reason plus the C-19 situation, it might sell for a lot less than would normally be expected, could be an opportunity to get an all up together engine for peanuts, take the electric start parts from the JP3, and convert the JP4 to electric start, and you have the makings of the ultimate off grid power source ;)

What is parts availability like on the JP type engines?

They do share some parts commonality with the CS range (top end parts): Piston rings, valve guides, springs, fuel injector, fuel pump delivery valve, valve cotters, valve spring retainers, rocker arm striking pad, rocker arm adjusting screw.

Parts availability from India is very good (but you have to know where to look) Dev precision would be a good start, and if you need cylinder heads moonrise industries.

Genuine parts can be found, but are not cheap, genuine piston and liners are becoming challenging to find, but if you ever need pistons I do have a source. Or you could modify an 8/1 piston (bore out the wrist pin hole to 1.5/8"). I know of numerous canal boat engines in the UK have had that modification ;D