Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister single cylinder dumper engine  (Read 2014 times)

chris1820

• View Profile
lister single cylinder dumper engine
« on: May 03, 2020, 03:48:00 PM »
thankyou for letting me join, I have a problem with my dumper engine, during the last heavy rain the cover blew off and water penetrated the air filter, having tried my best to drain it and dry it out since then i have been unable to start it . I drained the oil and put in new drained the fuel and same, with my limited knowledge i checked the delivery pipe to the injector and there seems to be no diesel spurting out, does this lead to a fuel pump problem or have i missed something i would be grateful of any help thanks

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: lister single cylinder dumper engine
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:57:31 AM »
Sorry about your cover being blown off and causing trouble. What you should have looked for is water down the air intake pipe.

It is extremely important that water does not get inside your engine as it does not compress and it can cause a lot of damage.
Probably sis not need to drain the oil out but that is fine. If no water came out and the oil was not milky then that is a good thing. If it was milky you now need to change the oil filter as well.

If water did get into the fuel tank you have done the right thing by draining the tank. The water would have came out first as fuel floats on top of water. Next the fuel filter then all the lines into and out of the pump.

Not sure if you have bled the air out of the fuel system so here is a methodical way to do that. Make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank. At the fuel filter you need to open any bleed screws that will be on top of the filter body. Mine has 2 bleed screws one where it enters and one where it exists. If you did have water in the fuel system then a new filter is required. Once you have bled the filter housing then go to the fuel pump and open the inlet pipe until no bubbles come out then over to the outlet to the injector and open it until no more bubbles come out. Then finally up at the injector, again crack open the fuel line and with the decompression lever engaged so it is easy to crank over start cranking the engine and watch for fuel at the injector. Remember that you will not have a squirt of fuel at this point just a dribble then tighten the nut. All the pressure and atomising happens inside the injector. If you are confident that no water is inside the engine try to start. If you feel that water is inside then maybe pull the injector out and use compressed air to blow out any water and put a small amount of mentholated spirits down the bore to mix with any residue of water, these 2 mix together.
Try these things and let us know how you get on.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

chris1820

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 06:12:10 PM »
thankyou for your reply will try again this week

chris1820

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »
tried all your suggestions still no luck

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 06:44:23 AM »
Now for a silly questions,

Is the throttle fully open? These like to be started cold on full throttle and do you have a cold start button/lever on your pump?

Ianto36

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »
Hi Chris

How long was the dumper parked up for? The bryce pump is prone to sticking and sizing if left for periods and if the pump was on the cam stroke it may be stuck in a position that is not moving against the spring.
I'm assuming that it's a AC or type of engine with the bryce pump on the horizontal, this was the case when I bought a secondhand engine which had been stood a while
Hope you get it started soon
Ian

chris1820

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:15:36 PM »
thank you for your suggestions i have moved the stop lever to  increase fuel , the pump located on the side of the engine and seems to be vertical. i am unable to give any details about the engine as the plate is missing, i have  bled the fuel system as suggested.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 07:25:38 AM »
What Tanto is describing can be checked by undoing the bolts that hold the pump in place and turn the engine over. If the pump lifts up and down then you know the plunger is not stuck. If it does not lift up and down then the plunger is stuck.