Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine  (Read 15952 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel Crude Oil Engine
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »
Hi Mike, I have had 100% success with them on the David Brown, TEA20 and now this. The only thing I can think of is getting it in the right place where the seal will run on it.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2020, 04:52:59 AM »
Getting closer to a start up.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2020, 04:48:19 AM »
Well it has happened, lots of noise and smoke, I mean smoke everywhere and its loud. Had to use my temporary belt to get it running but eventually it started running on its own, albeit rough and bloody loud under the carport. I had it running for around 10 - 12 minutes and as I was parking the tractor away it stopped. Not seized but ran out of fuel. It was getting a small amount of air back up the clear fuel line and I dont know how to stop that as yet. I ended up using the dial indicator to adjust the amount of lift on the injector. The speed wheel as it is called seems to work as I would slow it down a little bit at a time for a while but not wanting it to be slow. A lot of room for improvement but happy it makes a noise and spits oil and crap over everything, now I have to wash Dees car.

https://youtu.be/qe2_y_tSw3M

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2020, 10:07:01 PM »
Congrats on finally getting her running; it has been a long road.

I enjoy the rough-running and smoking old engines as well.

Here is one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4pNEDZgDzk

I'm not the only one, 6 million views in 10 years  :o

Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
Hi Willw,
Nice work on having it run again. A few more trys at starting and the young fella will get to do it. As for the McDonald I need to start it again, slow it down a lot and put it under load by belting it up to something.
After that I have an 8hp CD Lister high speed tropical model that runs a dry sump set up. I want to get it ticking over again and then put it up for sale to make room. Also had a small as yet unknown model Lister offered to me today all I have to do is go and pick it up hopefully overr the weekend. I can only see the arse end, twing spoke flywheels and enclosed sump. Dont know anything else about it but I will recover it before it goes to China and offer it up to a Club member.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2020, 03:25:43 AM »
Got it running slower but more room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/PKrEcCaweo8

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2020, 06:50:01 AM »
That looks like it would blow bonza smoke rings with the right zorst

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2020, 10:36:03 AM »
IT killed off the mossies for a block radius. From info supplied from another Forum it runs a bit rich but once it warms up it runs close to being right. I believe that the amount of lift I have now being around 0.8mm maybe a bit high. Also need to bed the rings in and to do that I want to load it up with something. I stuck a lump of wood under the flywheel to load it up and it smoothed out the running pretty quick but started to heat the timber up and the timber was smoking. So as it improves I will post again some more shots but your right about the smoke rings these engines are known for them.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2020, 09:54:44 PM »
Just to be clear, the video I submitted was something I found on Youtube; nothing to do with me whatsoever (unless drooling counts as something to do with me) ;D
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2020, 05:35:10 AM »
No probs. The Mac is still killing mosquitoes for a 3 block radius but improving. Need more time to belt up a small pump to put a small amount  setting up new work vehicle.